2004 Toyota Camry LE 2.4 from North America

Nice and comfortable car, but not as convinced about Toyota quality as I used to be, anymore

Right after purchasing the car (for about 9000$ including tax) I noticed that it was emitting a large exhaust cloud after the car had been standing for a day or two. After maybe 10 seconds, the visible exhaust was almost gone. I returned to the dealership under the 30 days / 1000 mile warranty. They changed some valve stem seals.

About 2 miles of driving after picking up the car at the Californian dealership, I noticed that the engine was vibrating a lot. When opening the hood, I also noticed that the engine RPM was going up and down without anyone touching the accelerator. The engine almost stalled a couple of times as well. Back to the dealership we went, and this time they removed carbon buildup from the (/a?) throttle body.

From then on it has seemed to be fine. I could not notice any visible smoke at startup after the repairs.

These issues happened despite a so called 160 point inspection prior to our purchase.

These issues were fixed under warranty. The people at the Toyota service center appeared very friendly and professional. Nice, when you get in car trouble!

General Comments:

Very comfortable. Little noise from the engine. We are a family of 5 people, the kids presently being 17, 14 and 11 years old. They seem to have good space for a 5 seater.

The automatic transmission is very smooth.

Gas mileage has thus far been measured to 26.25 to 26.5 MPG under various driving conditions in, and around, San Diego.

The original sound system also seems to be of high quality.

The reasons that I have become unsure about Toyota is because I had problems with the two last ones (Sequoia + this one, bought in the US), but absolutely no issues with a '95 Corolla back in Norway. (I have been wondering if the latter 2 have been US built, and if that means a lower quality than some other cars sold under the Toyota brand name.)

Review Date: 4th October, 2015

2004 Toyota Camry G 2.0 VVTi from Philippines

A poor man's S-Class or Rolls Royce

Actually, all the problems that I will mention are not really serious.

November 2008 - The right rear window did not want to go up. Took it to the dealer and it was fixed within 30 minutes.

Early 2009 - The lock of the rear right stopped functioning. Fixed by Toyota in an hour.

August 2011 - We couldn't unlock the glove compartment of the car. All we could do after taking it to the dealer is to use the glove box without locking it.

October 2011 - The suspension acted up. Our mechanic took care of the problem.

Other than the problems stated above, the car only goes to the Toyota dealer every 5000 km for its Preventive Maintenance Check-up.

General Comments:

This car was only partially ours for 6 years. We only use it from time to time when we are forced to. For most of the time my grandmother and my auntie used it. When my grandmother passed away in November 2008, we had more time with this car, mainly Fridays, because our other car ('99 Galant) cannot run because of the number coding scheme, but most of the time my auntie uses it. When she passed away in April 2010, we had no choice but to take the car.

This car is meant to be chauffeur driven. I wish this had a 2.4 engine instead. My uncle owns one (although two years older) with that engine. He said it has a very good pick up. The pickup of our Camry is not so good. You struggle when you have to overtake a slow moving vehicle, enter a flyover or expressway on ramp, or go through winding roads.

Of all the cars we have ever had, this is the most comfortable we had. The leather seats are comfortable and the legroom for everyone is wide and spacious. The air-conditioning is also very good. It cools the whole interior in no time!

In June of 2012, we transferred the original Kenwood stereo to our Galant before disposing of it. Now it has a Pioneer radio with USB to connect my iTouch/iPhone, which was in our former Galant.

I would like to say that we really like this car. It's very reliable because it has served the whole family very well for more than 9 years already. The car is really nice on the outside and inside. It looks like and feels like a Lexus. It feels so nice to bring this car to an exclusive place like a 5 star hotel or any special occasions like weddings and debuts. When some of my classmates and friends rode in this car, they loved it because it is a good looking car and is very comfortable! Our relatives and family friends love it too! The car has been to numerous weddings and debuts.

The service at the Toyota dealership is excellent and efficient. They keep a record of past services and the parts that need replacement like the brakes. During the last PMS, it was done within the day. Keep up the good work!

Even though we just ordered a brand new Toyota Camry with a 2.5V trim, which will have a higher level of luxury, comfort, technology, and performance, we will still be keeping this one for several more years to come. It seems our family has already fallen in love with the Camry nameplate.

Review Date: 1st May, 2013

2nd May 2013, 23:43

"It looks like and feels like a Lexus."

Rolls still puts Lexus to shame when it comes to styling and road-presence.

3rd May 2013, 10:11

Rolls Royce and Bentley are also ostentatious, flaunting wealth. Not always desirable in my opinion. Also they are large, hard to maneuver and park, especially in a city environment. With security etc an issue, my pick is a new Mercedes.