2000 Toyota Corolla Fielder S JDM 1.8 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Best Toyota since 2000

General Comments:

This is a JDM 1.8L Station wagon, which is known as the Fielder, but in NZ and AUS it's known as the Corolla Wagon.

Import models seems to be more agile, better on fuel economy, but have the same Toyota reliability.

This model of mine is called S, which comes with a 1.8L engine, and the differences from NZ new ones are the front grille, interior light glows like Lexus, better seat, tinted rear windows, and the climate control is digital. Also the gear lever for the auto is quite polished looking.

I have driven both NZ new and imports. In fact we have half a dozen of these at work, and import models drive no different, but it feels like import models have a bit more go - might be differently tuned.

Mine hasn't done lotsa Ks yet, but one at work has now crossed 600K on the clock and drives no different from when it had 150K on the clock.

These are brilliant cars, nice seats, roomy, roof rack looks really cool, and the best part is fuel economy. I have managed to get 5.2L to 100km on the open road, and in the city I average around 6-6.5L to 100. That's where this beats NZ new models.

I would highly recommend people having these cars. Models from 2000-2007 (E120) are much more solid as well as roomy inside in my opinion.

I never hope to sell this. A 120 bucks service kept me going for miles, and it has given me no trouble whatsoever apart from wear and tear on tyres, light bulbs etc.

Review Date: 26th August, 2015

2000 Toyota Corolla GLS 1.6 VVti from UK and Ireland

Unbelievable reliability

Rear suspension link had to be replaced. Not dangerous, just rattling. Passed its MOT with it rattling. Cost £20 to replace.

General Comments:

Truly thought I had reached middle age when I bought my Corolla and tried to sell it after having it 3 months because of its image. However, after 3 years and negligible faults, I now have huge respect for this little car. I bought it for absolute peanuts as it was an automatic, and it just goes and goes. I do all the maintenance myself, and recently when the rear section of the exhaust failed, I got the bit off eBay for £25! The local fast fit place wanted £95. Driven gently on a motorway run, 43 MPG is possible. Stop start city driving delivers late 20s MPG. The 1.6 VVti engine uses a bit of oil (a litre every 3000 miles), but I know some use a lot more due to a design fault with this engine.

As regards handling and the overall design of the car, it is very dated, even when it was new in 2000. I sell cars for a living and have worked for most major manufacturers over the years. A Ford Focus was a hugely better car than the Corolla in nearly every respect from handling to interior ergonomics. The equivalent VW Golf had a much nicer interior. The Corolla beats all else, though, excepting a Civic when it comes to reliability. Thats why I now love it. It'll probably soldier on for another few years until the body falls off with rust. Reckon the mechanical bits will still be bombproof. It's a pity no one makes a car with Swedish rustproofing and Japanese mechanicals!

Review Date: 4th June, 2015

5th Jun 2015, 11:40

I've have or had 4 old petrol Japanese cars (Honda, Nissan) and have found they just keep going with just routine maintenance and consumables so long as they have been looked after by previous owners. My theory is that these types of cars tend to be bought by private and sensible owners.

I only let go of my three previous rice burners because they were written off in accidents. Being old cars, even cosmetic damage results in an instant insurance write off.