2004 Toyota ECHO Base Sedan 1.4L I-4 from North America

Summary:

Great Little City Car

My Brakes needed to be replaced after 55k.

Factory recall for rust-proofing in cabin floor.

Rear-defroster broke (replaced under warranty).

General Comments:

I bought this car new; my first Toyota. I was amazed at the operating cost (very cheap in maintenance and quite inexpensive in fuel).

I'm 6'5" and fit quite comfortably in the car. My original choice had been a 2001 Corolla, but I couldn't fit in it, despite it being slightly bigger.

The seating isn't great for long trips. There isn't an armrest, which got annoying after a while.

Knowing full well how small this car is, I must say that I found the car to be underpowered, especially in acceleration. Despite it's 5-speed manual transmission (certainly better than the automatic versions I've driven), it certainly lacked any ability to pass vehicles on the highway or simply accelerate up hills. Forget any form of power with more than two people in the car.

I must say, however, that the ECHO is an amazing, cheap, roomy, compact. Many of my friends have also purchased them and found them great for students and in the city.

Review Date: 1st August, 2007

15th Feb 2011, 20:29

I have an 05 automatic and I find it's quite peppy. I've never really felt mine is underpowered. It's certainly no speedster, but it has very good weight to power ratio. It's a lot of fun to drive.

2004 Toyota ECHO from North America

Summary:

Moneypit

My wife and I purchased our first Toyota ever and wow are we ever disappointed.

When we first purchased it we had problems: the fan cable breaking and a part in the front end. Most recently though, and the reason I am writing to you, our brakes wore out.

According to almost all other Toyota drives of other models, theirs last at least to 110,000. When we went to the local Toyota dealer in Prince George with a brake light blinking, they said it could not be the brakes, proceeded to top up the brake fluid and sent my family and I back onto the road with the advise to come back to them and book an appointment if the problem persists.

We went to a brake shop for a second opinion as out families lives are obviously more value to me then Toyota. The brake pads were as thick as a $5 bill. We immediately made an appointment with the brake shop and had them replaced the next morning.

When we brought the proof back to the service people they claimed they could not have known and they were not to blame, would not even give a sorry. Same with the service manager, and the sales manager (whose daughter was the day before person that said we would be fine).

My wife and I feel obligated to let the public know that the brakes go, according to 8 other Echo owners between 50,000 and 64,000 km unlike an other traditional Toyota, so please get them checked independently, not at your dealer.

They don't seem to care about your families safety and apparently, neither does Toyota by putting weak brakes in the Echo.

Review Date: 9th September, 2005

10th Sep 2005, 12:08

I don't believe for a minute that you had a bad Toyota. There is no such thing. You talk about this car as if it were a Cavalier or something. Toyota doesn't make junk, and I don't think it's right for you to come on here, and attempt to smear their good name, all because you most likely have some kind of a personal vendetta against them.

2004 Toyota ECHO Hatchback 1.5 from North America

Summary:

This is a great cheap and spunky car

Nothing at all.

General Comments:

This is a very tight, reliable car it handles well up to about 140kmh.

The interior is very large and roomy.

Its quirky looks are sort of fun-a smart car on steroids.

Very cheap on fuel over 50 mpg on the highway and about 40 mpg in the city.

Review Date: 10th March, 2005

20th Apr 2005, 05:50

If you read the original review again, he says a "SMART" car on steroids. As in the SMART fortwo... except bigger and more powerful. Then again.. almost any car on the road could be a SMART on steroids.

21st May 2005, 17:15

The above comments about steroids and SUV owners is completely ridiculous.

We are buying the Echo for my wife as she wants an economical work car. I like it as it affords her the luxury (which is superb) that she deserves.

It is a 'perfect' city runabout with the "legs" to take her an the children interstate to visit relatives in safety.

On the downside I believe Toyota was extremely stingy in not installing dual airbags in such a light car-this should almost be a legal requirement. Mag wheels also would have been a reasonable expectation given the price.

They lose a healthy 2/10 points for the missing airbag otherwise it would be a 10/10 for the purpose of such a vehicle:D.

I also own a 4X4 which I prefer for the height/visibility and as I go off road often Fly Fishing. Steroids / masculinity etc never crossed my mind. The person above has jealousy or here-say issues and should grow up. SUV 's are a very, very good family option.