2007 Toyota Matrix base 1.8 from North America

Summary:

Mediocrity from a great company

Well most recently the check engine light came on. dealer said to ignore it and they would take care of it when it went in for an oil change. Then the engine stalled at wall-mart parking lot. OK maybe a fluke. started back up and put it into drive and kabam neck jarring shift. we try to get out of the parking lot with the gas pedal floored. only got to 5 mph then second gear Kabam another horrible shift and maxed out to 10 mph. going to a hill it felt like the rev limiter was kicking in cause the car was bucking wildly. when we took it to the dealer, you guessed it they could not find anything wrong and they reset the light.

General Comments:

I am disappointed in the quality of the interior and the exterior. when I close the driver side door it feels like a hollow piece of sheet metal. the interior made my 96 grand caravan look like a Lexus. the fit and finish is sub par. the engine when it works it is OK. enough power to move briskly, but still has the heart of an economy car the seat are not comfortable, but the fabric seems durable. the stereo sound OK. the way the seat fold down is nice and easy. I guess that what I'm trying to say is that I believe this car has no passion what so ever. my grand caravan had a boat load of passion. I could tell what was going on I was in touch with it. this is just simply an OK car. but that's its biggest downfall its so plain.

Review Date: 13th August, 2007

1st May 2008, 20:06

The Matrix is a boring car and frustrating when you get the manual version. It handles like a minature Tahoe around towm unless you get it up to speed then it seems to handle decently. The Rav4 drives a LOT better although not quite as handy and don't scratch as easily.

2007 Toyota Matrix from North America

Summary:

Unsafe at any speed

General Comments:

Rented this disappointment from Hertz for a week and tried to trade it for another car at the end of the first day. Ever see or drive a Yugo? My son and I laughed for days that it was like driving a clown car! Starts were very jerky and it always seemed to want to go - until you wanted to pass, that is. No cruise control (who makes a car in 2007 without cruise control?) and the "tin" noise when closing the door that let you know you were on your own if nailed by another car. Because it was windy where we were, it was all over the roadway and very prone to over correction.

SO glad I rented, not bought. This car is not for inexperienced drivers or freeways.

Review Date: 24th May, 2007

24th May 2007, 23:25

At least you got that car... my sister got stuck with a PT Cruiser and it was a poorly develped car. It was loud, large panel gaps, rear seat seemed to be angling passengers forward (uncomfortable). The engine had more NVH than our 1985 Prelude did before it got hauled away and my 1994 Accord with nearly 300,000 miles.

2007 Toyota Matrix XR 1.8 from North America

Summary:

The Matrix is reliable and efficient, and hopefully a different tire will help with vibrations

The steering wheel vibrates (shimmies) between 65-70mph. The tires are Eagles GSA from the dealer when I bought the car.

General Comments:

The Matrix XR for 2007 is a great utility vehicle. One thing I am concerned with is the steering wheel vibrations. I have had the dealership balance the tires as well as an independent tire place balance them. They claim the wheels, tires, and rims are fine. I still however at different intervals from 65-70mph feel vibrations (shaking) in the steering wheel. I know it is not the road making the steering wheel vibrate, so I am thinking possibly replacing the tires with a different brand such as Michelin would solve the shaking. I would hope that there would be no strut/shock issues since it was brand new with only 10 miles when I bought it. Any other Matrix owners have this issue? Any recommendations? Maybe a little vibration is a trait of the Matrix?

Craig in Austin TX.

Review Date: 3rd March, 2007

4th Mar 2007, 13:08

I hope your vibration turns out to be the tires. I test drove a Matrix and a Vibe (same thing, but with better dealer service) and BOTH had a vibration in the steering. That was one reason I opted to buy another car.

9th Mar 2007, 20:50

I recently bought a new 2007 Matrix XR 2WD and have not noticed the vibrations you're referring to. My last car was a 98 Mirage and that car vibrated like a jack hammer when driving over 65 mph. I just got used to not driving too fast. Compared to the Mirage, the Matrix is smooth and quiet. I specifically look for that feature when I test drove the car because of my experience with the Mirage.

6th Apr 2008, 08:25

There should be NO steering wheel vibration, of any intensity, at any speed. Generally, it's because of unbalanced wheel, rarely from "deformed" tires. Try switching front/rear tires, otherwise suspect wheel bearing, drive-shaft or transmission issue.

16th Jun 2008, 14:06

I agree with the above comment, I drive my girlfriend's Corolla quite a bit and the wheels have taken a lot of abuse. The front tires need replacing and the passenger side front wheel is damaged from a huge pothole, and I still get only minimal vibrations from the steering wheel. When I think about it, top end stability is surprising in the Corolla; 90mph feels more like 75.

26th May 2010, 14:24

I just have a question for the original poster: What made you switch from a Prius to a Matrix? Not another Prius?