1987 Toyota MR2 Reviews

First year of ownership2010
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 1.6 4A-GE Automatic
Previous carDodge Daytona

Summary:

Highly recommended little sports car

At about 136k miles, the charging system started to fail. Ended up being the battery cables. Replaced both for under $10.

That is really it, besides normal tune-up and wear and tear items.

General Comments:

Love this car so much. Wanted one for so many years, and had to jump on this one after my friend put it up for sale.

Minimal rust on the rear wheel arches, and the paint still shines. Sure, this is an automatic MR2. Most of them are manuals, but I bought this one because it was well cared for and in great condition.

It's still quite quick and the fuel economy is excellent.

The interior is near perfect, with only minor wear on the driver's seat side bolster.

Trunk space is adequate, and there is a bit up front as well. For a guy and his girlfriend on a weekend trip, you don't need any more!

I paid $1,850 for mine, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Review Date: 12th July, 2011

1987 Toyota MR2 MR2 16v twin cam 5 speed from North America

First year of ownership2010
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 16v twin cam 5 speed Manual
Previous carToyota Camry

Summary:

A great driving experience, even though gas is so high, I drive it when I have nowhere to go!

Well it bottoms out a lot, especially above 100 miles an hour.

Recently I was driving and my clutch just went out completely. Now I am in the process or figuring out exactly what's wrong and fixing it.

General Comments:

This car is amazing. I can do 70 in second gear and not red line it. I'm totally impressed. I live in a very hilly place, lots of turns and I can push this car to the absolute limits and it won't break loose. Staying exactly where you want on the road is spectacular around a mountain! Just look out for squirrels!

When you shift your hand is at the perfect place with the elevated center console. I also thoroughly enjoy the T tops.

My MR2 is a little beat up and had a lot of miles, but it passes smog, and the engine runs like a champ!

It is fun, and you don't have to give all your friends rides.

The compact engine also makes for pretty good gas mileage, considering how fast you eat it up.

Review Date: 1st February, 2011

1987 Toyota MR2 1.6 N/A from Australia and New Zealand

Year of manufacture1987
Engine and transmission 1.6 N/A Manual
Most recent distance222000 kilometres
Previous carHonda Integra

Summary:

Makes you feel like a kid again

Rear wheel bearings.

AC stopped working.

General Comments:

I have owned this car for 3 years now, and it is the best thing that I have ever owned. I have owned many cars in the past.

I have done over 120,000 in it, and drive it over 80kms to and from work each day.

There is nothing like taking the large sunroof out on a sunny day and going for a drive. Fast or slow.

Handles like a Go-Cart.

I have never been much into cars in the past until I got my Mister 2. This is my pride and joy, and is now part of the family.

Fun in the dry and terrifying in the wet.

Review Date: 3rd June, 2010

1987 Toyota MR2 T-Top 1.6 n/a from North America

Engine and transmission 1.6 n/a Manual
Distance when acquired152000 miles
Previous carChevrolet Monte Carlo

Summary:

Simply amazing

Replaced clutch after the first week driving about 400 miles ownership. (slipping when bought)

Electrical nightmares. Ended up working around it with toggle switches.

Radio was hardly functional. Replaced it with an old cheap Radio Shack radio for the time being.

Muffler hanger broke off, but a new muffler was cheap enough.

Windshield leaked. I put a piece of tape over the seal to fix until I get a chance to fix it permanently.

General Comments:

I never saw an 87 MR2 before mine. I was talking to someone who was a good friend at the time. I told him I wanted t-tops, RWD, and a manual trans. He said he just picked up an MR2, which had all of the things I wanted. I bought the car and had to replace the clutch. It was no big problem; I ended up doing it in a weekend in my driveway.

The engine bay can be hard to work on because it is so small, but there is room. Everything has to be done from underneath, which can make your shoulders sore, but when you are driving the car it is worth it.

I cannot see the car and not smile. It is the ultimate driving machine. The mid engine design makes handling amazing compared to my previous vehicles.

I put a lot of time and money into the car, making it better to my personal driving style. I put a short shifter on it and some other small mods.

The stock 4age is enough to get you going, but I want a little bit more power. I bought a 4age silvertop, which puts out 160hp compared to the stock 4age redtop, which puts out a whopping 110hp. I bought the car because my engine had an intermittent knock, which went away when I tightened an EGR bolt down.

No torque. I originally had an El Camino. Switching from torque to an engine that has no torque was weird, but having a very high red-line makes up for it.

The car has never let me down. The clutch and wiring were just a small bump along the road. I have made many long trips and the car holds up fine, and it keeps up with many newer cars.

Review Date: 28th November, 2008