1987 Toyota MR2 AW11 1.6 NA from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Very unique car that you don't see every day, definitely a head turner

Nothing has gone wrong with the car, but it had a few minor problems when I purchased it.

The drivers side electric window does not work properly. The electric motor's drive cog seems to be missing some teeth or is broken.

The air conditioning does not work.

General Comments:

At first glance of the car in standard for I knew it could be a very nice looking car with a few changes. The car is white in color with blue interior.

The cabin feels surprisingly large to sit in and as soon as you are in the drivers seat it feels like you are about to go for a drive in a Lotus or Ferrari. The seats are very comfortable with about 4 adjustments.

Although the car feels like a 10 second car to sit in it does lack a bit in the speed factor, but what can you expect out of a naturally aspired 1.6 liter four banger.

Although the car lacks in straight line speed it definitely does not lack in handling where it can basically outcorner most cars on the road. I have stuck right behind my mates WRX around corners where he could only pull away on the straight!! It does not have power steering which can be annoying with bigger wheels fitted, but feels excellent to drive having no weight over the wheels.

Fuel economy is extremely good. I get about 350 km's out of a full tank of about 35 litres, and that is not taking it easy, regularly revving to 6 grand. I used to only get 350km's out of the Magna and it's tank size was over 70 liters!!

The standard stereo was very very ordinary so I decided to place some speakers between the seats of the car, where there once was a console. I replaced the head unit and the speakers with 6x9's and some 4 inches for the front. The reult is excellent and I couldn't be happier.

I have done some mild modifications to the appearance of the car, installing 17 inch chrome wheels, lowering the suspension, tinting the windows, installing an aftermarket exhaust system from the cat back (which is very loud, but sounds nice), installing a high flow air filter and taking the wing off. After all of that the car looks very nice and I am very happy with the way it looks.

The car has always started first go and I have never had any engine problems with it. If only it went faster!

Review Date: 8th September, 2004

1987 Toyota MR2 16v from Netherlands

Summary:

Absolutely worth every penny you have got

Stock boxes blew up (both)

Oil Leaking (Causing to much RP M's)

General Comments:

I am a single young man, that enjoys driving real fast, using the same car everyday. If you fit the same catogory, then this car is what you should buy. I didn't like the exterior design at first (i founded it to be very blocky) but I got used to it. I blew up the stock front panel boxes (i think their 10 watts or so) and I'm looking for new boxes that have a higher capacity right now.

This car is super fast! I take corners that have a warning for 80 km/h with a whopping speed of 140 km/h with ease. That was when I first had the car.

People that don't need speed, have no reason to buy this car. With this Japanese muscle car I have beaten BMW's / Mercedes / Honda cars and even a Volkswagen Corr-ado. I must add that I have the the car tuned with more horsepowers.

The only things I don't like about the car are the stock boxes, the insufficient space in the trunk / front and worst of all; the compartment between the seats. This is very awkwardly placed, cause when I needed to reach my sunglasses (that we're in that compartment) I almost made an accident.

The problem with the stock boxes is somehow overshadowed, because I bought the car from someone who had made some major adjustments to the car; it has a electronic alarm which shuts the doors automatically, 6 boxes, tuning and electric / adjustable mirrors and the radio antenna comes out automatically. I spray painted it in its original fire red color again and I had the rims sprayed in gold color.

I am very proud of my car. This is my fourth in four years (!) and I'm never going to lose it, until I have a family. This car blows my last car away in every way, except for comfort. The MR2 seems to make a lot of noise when driving at high speed (i took it up to 160 km/h next to a beach road)

I find the Toyota dealer service to be vary lackey in the Netherlands. I had my engine repaired (because of the RP M's) got my receipt. Two weeks later the engine did it again, and they didn't wanted to repair it for free. I complained a lot at the dealer, and eventually they repaired it for free :)

Review Date: 4th August, 2004