1984 Toyota Pickup 3/4 ton Longbed 2wd 22R Calif emissions carburated from North America

Summary:

Awesome, and no I don't want to sell it

Original clutch started slipping at 77k, I had been doing moderately heavy towing. Replaced with a heavy duty clutch, no problems since.

Transmission bearings went out around 100k. Started making grinding noises like a rock crusher. R&R'ed the tranny myself, and had it rebuilt for about $600.

No other serious problems.

General Comments:

Probably one of the most reliable vehicles ever built. The 22R is legendary. Has left me stuck once in 26 years.

Never missed an oil change, did them every 3k and the tranny and rear end once a year in most cases.

Went through 3-4 alternators and starters, that's to be expected. Compression is still above 145 psi on all 4.

Review Date: 14th March, 2010

2nd Oct 2012, 18:06

Have the same truck, a 1984 Toyota 4x4. I bought it new in March of 84. Only had 108000 miles on it, when I handed the keys to my son. He had it for 3 months, and he blew up the motor (no oil). I put a rebuilt motor in it.

9th Jul 2014, 16:51

Damn that sucks, my uncle bought me a 1984 Toyota. I've already put ten thousand miles on it and 4x4ed the crap out of it, yet it still runs strong. My uncle taught me to check engine oil and coolant every week.

1984 Toyota Pickup from North America

Summary:

The best little truck I have ever seen!

I bought my Toyota pickup truck for $400.00 in 2005 It has not stopped yet. Nothing has gone wrong on it.

Engine runs like a sewing machine, no noise.

Rust has attacked the body so I used bondo and fiber glass to fix it, repainted it. It looks like new!

General Comments:

A very reliable little truck that I want to keep forever. I use it mostly on the farm, in rough land and it is very easy to ride around, light truck.

Review Date: 1st August, 2009

1984 Toyota Pickup 22r from North America

Summary:

Best truck all around that has ever been made

The head gasket has gone bad just now, but this motor has over 200,000 miles on it.

It has rust, but nothing too big.

General Comments:

This has been the best truck I've ever owned by far.

If you are into four wheeling, this is the truck for you. My little truck will outdo any of the big trucks with no problem at all.

VERY RELIABLE!!!

GREAT GAS MILEAGE!

Review Date: 30th November, 2008

1984 Toyota Pickup SR5 Gasoline from North America

Summary:

Easy to repair anything on this vehicle

Changed the engine for no reason at 160K.

At 200K changed voltage regulator.

At 210K changed washer pump.

Gaskets around the door and window are now goin out.

General Comments:

It's like a puppy. I wish it would just stay looking like it was. Mechanically it's great. Replaced everything, but body wise it's starting to rust. Never been garaged and now leaks around the windows.

Suspension has had VERY little work, but the TOYO has been my favorite car out of the 8 I have owned. Its the only Pre-Marriage item I own. Hard to give up.

Review Date: 1st October, 2007

1984 Toyota Pickup SR5 22R from North America

Summary:

If you buy one of these trucks, you have to take it to somewhere you wouldn't think it could go

Had to do the front brakes at 171000.

Bed is very rusted out.

General Comments:

This truck is unbelievable. It has gone everywhere I have tried to go with no problem. I loaded over 1500 pounds into it and drove 50 miles several times with no problem. This is one tough truck.

Review Date: 5th February, 2005

19th Jan 2006, 00:59

Couldn't agree more.

19th Dec 2006, 21:14

I got one of those for free and it was the best deal of my life. We loaded the whole bed (longbed) more than 5 times. The pickup has 170k miles and it still works perfectly.

4th Aug 2009, 17:51

That's a Toyota for ya. Throw all the crap you want at it, it's built to take it.

24th Apr 2014, 02:11

Right on!

1984 Toyota Pickup SR5 2.4L EFI from North America

Summary:

The best truck out there

The truck was completely rebuilt at 160,000, before I bought it. After that, it was lifted and turned into a prerunner.

The right axle bearing locked up at 190,000 miles.

Other than that,just normal wear and tear.

General Comments:

The truck has been through every thing and still made it back home. It's been jumped 7ft high, played in the mud, dune climbed, and tons of other off-roading.

The truck is quick because of $3,000 worth of performance parts including cam, header, injectors, intake, and 3" pipe with a Flowmaster muffler.

It is also an every day truck.

Review Date: 16th August, 2004