1989 Toyota Pickup Reviews - Page 2 of 5

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 22R Manual
Most recent distance202000 miles
Previous carToyota Corolla

Summary:

Very reliable, rugged and simple truck

I purchased my '89 Toyota pickup in early spring of 1991. Very soon after I bought it the running lights, interior lights and dash lights shorted out. Luckily each headlight had its own circuit so I was able to drive home with headlights at night. It turned out to be bad wiring on the after-market bumper license lights. Not Toyota's fault, but the buffoon who wired the bumper lights.

Another wiring problem surfaced several years later which disabled the entire electrical system. After having it towed home I discovered a broken wire splice near the fuse block on the passenger side fender well. It looked as if someone had fooled around with the wiring for some reason and spliced it with tape. I fixed it with real wiring connectors. Good as new.

I started having carburetor problems after about 170,000 miles. My gas mileage fell off what I used to get and starting became more difficult as did cold weather dirveability. This also coincided with the introduction of oxygenated gasoline where I live. MBTE additives are death to a late model carb. I replaced the carb at $750.00 - ouch - with a rebuild which eased the driveability ills, but the fix didn't last. I should have popped for the new carb at $500 extra.

I had the radiator reconditioned twice and only because the outlet tube at the top would work itself loose after time. The shop tech said that Toyota truck radiators were very easy to recondition well designed.

General Comments:

My 1989 Toyota was a very basic truck which is the way I like them. It had non-power steering, a 4-speed manual transmission (rare for late 80's Toyota trucks), vinyl floor, vinyl seats, no other power options and a very good a/c which was the only option. It wasn't even wired for a cigarette lighter.

It drove like a dump truck, but had a very controlled ride with or without a load. The most rugged steering I ever experienced with a vehicle. In over 200,000 miles I think I had it aligned three times. It was the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned.

I sold to my best friend who still owns it almost 4 years ago after owning it for 11 years. It runs very rich and rough now and finding a mechanic who can actually tune a carb is near impossible. That is a shame because it was always a great engine and could take a lot of hard driving. It still has the original alternator, still on the second clutch. If it had been fuel injected I would have kept it and got it re-painted.

Review Date: 15th October, 2005

28th Jan 2007, 19:49

My father has a 1989 Toyota Pickup and he's had it for over 15 years. It still runs great even after the odometer says 300,000 miles.

29th Mar 2010, 17:00

I bought an 89 base model like yours (not even A/C) new and drove it over 250,000 miles without an issue. I did have the same elec issues with the after market bumper, but the idiot involved was me so I really could not complain.

I did replace the radiator once, but otherwise the only thing I did was general maintenance.

Sadly I got hit by a 17 year old girl in a large Buick, and it did not survive too well. Still ran but would not pass inspection.

I parked it for 6 months, and one day my girlfriend wanted to learn to drive stick. And even after 6 months in the Rochester NY winter, it started on the first try. Best vehicle I ever owned or probably will ever own. Miss it very much.

22nd Sep 2010, 11:18

I presently own a 1989 basic Toyota 22R pickup. I bought the truck new in Charleston, SC. and have driven the truck every day for 22 years now.

I was a submarine sailor in the Navy so my mileage is low for its age, 175,000 miles. The A/C stopped working 10 years ago, I have replaced the radiator, starter, and clutch. Other than that, it has had basic 4000 mile maintenance since new.

My mechanic says the engine is very strong and should last another 100,000 miles easy. The truck has normal rust, bangs and dents for 22 years on the road, but has never been in a wreck.

I am thinking of doing a restoration to the truck. I know it's not a collectible truck, but it has become part of the family. Has anyone ever done this and any idea what it would cost?

The best truck I ever owned.

1989 Toyota Pickup standard cab 22r 4cyc from North America