1990 Toyota Pickup Reviews

First year of ownership1993
Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 22R Manual
Previous carToyota Pickup

Summary:

Great little truck, runs like a Swiss watch!

- Timing chain stretched and was loose at about 120,0000 miles. Chain was tapping against the timing chain cover, and eventually wore an actual hole in the cover, allowing the coolant and crankcase oil to mingle. Apparently this is a common scenario with these trucks, so pay attention if yours starts making a ticking noise and you have an old timing chain.

- Currently about mid-way through the second clutch. I use this truck to tow my boat, so it's tough on clutches pulling the boat and trailer up a steep ramp.

- Paint faded and wore off (it's been parked outside in the Florida sun for 20 years), and there was some body rust at the bottom of both doors, and under the lip of the plastic bed liner. A little Bondo, some sanding, and a rattle-can paint job later, the truck looks great again.

- Next repairs will be new Pitman arms (and maybe other steering linkage parts), and to replace that iffy-looking radiator. Thinking about replacing the worn-out bench seat with a pair of aftermarket bucket seats.

General Comments:

I'm the second owner of this truck, and have had it for 19+ years, and I still love it! People offer to buy it from me at least a couple of times a month, but it's not for sale.

Some parts are getting harder to find as time goes by. I can't find wiper arm replacements, and had to get a used replacement coolant pipe from Ebay.

You just can't kill these trucks. About the only way to ruin them would be to overheat the engine.

Review Date: 5th July, 2012

1990 Toyota Pickup DLX pickup 22re 2.4L 5 speed from North America

Model year1990
Year of manufacture1990
Engine and transmission 22re 2.4L 5 speed Manual

Summary:

It is a great little truck

When I got the pickup the front seal was leaking so I had to get that replaced $200.00.

Tires were wearing funny so I had to get the front tie rodes replaced $700.00 other.

The seat belts will not retract

General Comments:

This truck is great it handles great and is quick for its size.

The back seats are not the most comfy, but they work.

There are all most no blind spots in this truck which is great for a beginner driver like my self.

When the bed is full to its max weight 1000lbs its handling is a bit weird, but I guess you can expect that out of any little truck at its max.

It handles great in the snow for a two wheel drive truck i'v never gotten mine stuck yet.

Review Date: 14th January, 2007

1990 Toyota Pickup Sr5 V6 4X4 Xtra cab 3.0 liter from North America

Year of manufacture1990
Engine and transmission 3.0 liter Manual

Summary:

Excellence, & NOT FOR SALE

This truck is Excellent!

General Comments:

It's interesting to see the Truck values so low in 99% of the Book listings. But in reality they are mostly more than double of what they say they are. Mine list for like 3500 bucks, but I've been offered 7900, & I've seen a 1991 in 2006 at a dealership with 220K for 8900.

Review Date: 12th January, 2007

20th Feb 2008, 16:32

Can't buy a better truck, simply put -- my only problem is this truck is very slow and not all that exciting to drive - but iI'l get over it, I love the no maintenance factor.

12th Jan 2009, 02:47

Not fun to drive? Oh well, I love it! I don't know about all the rest, but my favorite is the 1990-91 sr5 v6 4x4 xtracab.

Not for sale!

26th Feb 2010, 16:28

I've owned my 90 extra cab 3.0 for 18 years now with no problems, it still drives and looks new, a very good truck. If I buy another truck, I will keep this one and do some custom work. Body has 0 rust, 170K miles original clutch, burns no oil. After market exhaust helped with power. Off roading above average for pickups IMO.

27th Feb 2010, 13:34

Prices in 2006 were in a better economy... I can see cars on lots; does not mean people will buy at that price.