1993 Toyota Pickup SR-5 2.4L 22RE from North America

The motor that was in the truck when purchased didn't last very long due to a poor attempt at a rebuild by the previous owner(s). This was disappointing, but the motor has since been rebuilt again using OEM parts and runs excellent. Interior is also rebuilt using a 4runner dash and bucket seats. Transmission, 4x4 system, and suspension is all original, other than struts.

General Comments:

Pretty fun truck to have. I like its simplicity and versatility. The engine block is a great design. Actually, the drivetrain front to back is pretty heavy duty for a mini truck. Compared to new vehicles... It's clearly behind the times, but that's OK by me, I'm gonna see this 'yota to 500,000km and beyond.

It's slow, but feels responsive. 23-28 MPG on average. This truck is gutless and snail-like, but will pull loads at least double the size of the truck up serious hills, no problem, all day. Off-roading fun is a bonus.

I recommend this truck in 2014 for a get 'er done kinda person on a budget. It helps to be handy with a wrench. But replacement parts are plentiful and very cheap. Keep her tuned and it's still a perfectly reliable vehicle.

Review Date: 29th June, 2014

5th Jul 2014, 18:38

Toyota trucks are the only 20-year old trucks I'd buy with 200k+ miles, and feel good about the deal and the truck's solidity. But try finding someone who actually wants to sell theirs...

1993 Toyota Pickup DX 3.0L V6 from North America

Summary:

Very reliable truck, great value

Only one manufacturer recall for a minor issue.

No major mechanical issues with the truck over its entire life.

Only routine maintenance, and the infrequent replacement of a worn part.

Had to replace the radiator once because of a crack... don't know if it was due to road damage or bad manufacturing. That was the most expensive repair I ever had to pay for.

General Comments:

1993 Toyota 4x4 Pickup with a 3.0L V6.

This is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned.

I owned it for almost 17 years. Even though I bought a new car several years ago, I kept this truck because there was nothing wrong with it, and it was so reliable.

Unfortunately it was totaled in an accident. I received almost $4000 (Bluebook value) in settlement... not too bad for a 17 year old truck that I paid $13,500 for back in 1993!

Review Date: 21st February, 2010

1993 Toyota Pickup 4x4 6 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Great truck; runs well and handles great

Head Gasket is leaking and needs replaced.

General Comments:

Great truck, handles well. Does very well on snow and ice with 4 wheel drive. Seats are not real comfortable.

Review Date: 3rd September, 2006

1993 Toyota Pickup 22RE from North America

Summary:

Toyota should ditch the Tacoma line and go back to building these

The Heater A/C Fan speed control is not very reliable. They're using a resistive element to control the speed. Individual speeds can cease to work (currently my number 2 and 3 speeds are dead).

General Comments:

Over-all a very well built little truck. It's just coming around for its first engine overhaul at almost 300,000 miles. there are plenty of after-market parts available if you know where to look, and the lack of these guys in junkyards is a testament to how many are still on the road today. Even burning oil, there is plenty of speed.

If possible find a 4-Runner instrument cluster (with a tachometer, oil pressure, and volt-meter) and front bucket seats (the bench is a little too utilitarian).

Review Date: 29th December, 2005

17th May 2006, 08:24

Yes, the autos are just as reliable, though performance will suffer slightly. I've driven both and own the manual (a 1994). Go for the automatic if that's what you want--it won't let you down.

27th Jun 2006, 22:43

I was wondering if I could install a tachometer on a 1992 DLX pick up? if so is it fairly simple or is it something I have to drill some holes and stuff?

14th Jan 2007, 23:44

Yes it is very easy to is stall a after market tack I installed one on my 1990 toyota pickup. they cost about $36.00 at any local auto parts store and takes about 30 or so minutes to put in.