2012 Toyota RAV4 Limited 3.4 gas from North America

Summary:

Will likely buy another if Toyota makes a V6 again

Nothing.

General Comments:

Large hauling capacity for such a small SUV.

Good seating comfort, especially in front.

Good seating adjustments.

My wife and I really like the split A/C controls, passengers like the accessory plugs, Bluetooth, USB port, 110V outlet, great built ins for an 'inexpensive' car.

Back seats fold up easily.

Under deck storage compartment is great and large.

The V6 is powerful and still gets very decent mileage (22 in the city and 26 on the highway) and I drive pretty fast, so it could be better...

Toyota has had a lot of time to get the kinks out of this model (love the outside mount of the spare tire).

My only complaint is road noise at speed is considerable, particularly over rougher surfaces; on smooth highways it's good.

Review Date: 10th July, 2014

2nd Aug 2014, 14:52

The noisiest vehicle I have ever sat in is a RAV-4; you have to literally shout your conversation.

2012 Toyota RAV4 Limited 2.4 litre petrol 4 cylinder from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

An all rounder, and a reliable workhorse

Apart from servicing, nothing has been done to it.

General Comments:

My current Rav4 is a 2.4L 4 cylinder petrol engine, which is really a Camry engine in an SUV.

The only 2 things I can complain about are:

1) High road noise.

2) Fuel economy is not that great.

Apart from that it's a bullet proof engine. My previous one was a diesel, which was made for the euro market, and hence had much higher quality. The indicator and wiper were the opposite way around, but it had more solid feel to it, and was great on gas.

This feels light and agile at lower speeds, has a very comfortable seating position, but the front seats lack back support. Otherwise it's a very roomy and comfy vehicle. I once managed to fit 23 pieces of luggage in by folding the rear seats.

The rear passenger seats go back and forward to allow enough leg room.

I love the fact this has a wheel attached to the back door. This would be the last model that has this feature.

I personally have driven the new shape lately, which has more power and has a more solid feel to it, but I would choose mine over the new one any day, simply because of how roomy it is inside, and for the overall look.

As with any other Toyota - this car is also bullet proof; nothing has gone wrong. I have owned it since new, and it has never missed a beat. If you look after them - I don't see why they won't do million km.

As for 4WD - it does lot more than what you would think it would be capable of. I have taken to many work tracks where a Mitsubishi Challenger struggled, but this did fine.

Review Date: 20th January, 2014

18th Jul 2014, 12:30

Just clocked 80,000km. Nothing done outside service. All brake pads and tyres are still factory.

2012 Toyota RAV4 Sport V6 4WD 3.5L V6 from North America

Summary:

Sport suspension is bad on non-perfect roads

Nothing yet.

General Comments:

I purchased my Toyota RAV4 Sport V6 in July 2012. It was new. The test drive was taken with a Base V6 model. The drive with the Sport model was completely different - and I knew that only when I picked up the vehicle. It's now showing 4000km.

Thus, this is a well-equipped vehicle with a lot of features I appreciate: shaded rear windows, roof-rack, roof-window, fog lights, bluetooth phone AND audio, USB and AUX ports, automatic headlights, three 12v plugs, very tight and precise steering, nice sound on acceleration and quiet on cruise.

The trunk is amazingly huge, the power of the V6 is impressive (certainly because the vehicle is light), the gas consumption is very good for that category (8.3L/100km on highway, 10L average). The exterior is very nice-looking.

Well, that's for the good. Let's look at the dark side.

Firsthand, I'll start by telling you that our road and street conditions here are awful. Let me also say that so was my experience on those roads with the "Sport" suspension and the 18" wheels of the RAV4 Sport. The test drive I did was with a RAV4 base V6 (17" wheels, normal suspension) and was quite comfortable, but now it is just plain annoying. My 260000km, 12-years-old Acura 1.7EL with original shocks is more pleasant to drive on slightly-damaged roads (which is the standard here) than the RAV4 with Sport suspension. I must admit that is not the case on flat or new roads - in those conditions the Sport suspension can easily take a tight curve at 50 or 60km/h over the recommended limit without showing any signs of distress. Nevertheless, bells in the interior are ringing every little imperfection I drive on, which is an annoying behavior from a new car.

Secondhand, the 5-speed automatic transmission is somehow jerky in town for the first 10-or-so minutes I drive. After that, it is quite smooth. However, I do appreciate that the 5th speed automatically switches between overdrive (locked) and unlocked. It is like a 6th speed. I must also say that it generally won't have to downshift to pass another car.

After that, the stock radio doesn't allow for "Bluetooth dialing" - I mean, with my Blackberry I can state commands with headsets, which is not supported with that radio. The speakers are also cheap - the two front one are already grinding with every slight kickdrum. Otherwise, the microphone seems to work well, and once a call is (manually) done or answered, the sound is very clear.

The rear seat is somehow cheap and firm. The rear central console, when open for children or guests, gives direct access to the content of the trunk - which can be good or bad according to your preferences. The rear heating/cooling is somehow faint, as the vents are located underneath the front passenger's seats.

Finally, long runs with the Sport model shows the poor wind and road sound isolation. My final test shall be the winter - I'm quite expecting the better of it in ice and snow.

Review Date: 3rd September, 2012

15th Nov 2012, 07:29

The wife just bought a 2012 RAV-4 two months ago. It has about 2,000 miles on it as I write. It is a base 4 cylinder automatic. I'll have to do a full review, but I thought I'd comment on it now. The fit and finish (blue metallic) seems very good. I haven't driven much more than around the block, but the power is very adequate. The wife is fussy, and she cannot come up with anything negative to say about the car.

The base suspension rides nice, even on bad roads. The only negatives I have about the car is the passenger seat doesn't have enough leg room. My 6'3" legs bump into the dash, but legroom is OK in the driver's seat. Also, the car is a bit hard to get in, being so high.

Two months and it hasn't been back to the dealer. Must be a record for cars of today. Seems to be a good car.