2004 Toyota Solara Reviews

2004 Toyota Solara 4 cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission 4 cylinder Automatic
Previous carToyota Celica

Summary:

I've had to tighten the bolts on the doors. The doors are very big and heavy.

I have not had any problems with the car.

At about 88K miles the belts have started to make some sounds.

General Comments:

I've had a great experience with the car. It's quiet to drive and the audio controls on the steering are nice.

I get about 27 mpg and about 400 miles per fill up.

The car keeps a lot of the outside noise out and the ride is pretty smooth. It's a nice blend of comfort, quiet and performance.

The performance is not like a sports car which usually has hard suspension, but you get a reasonable amount of pickup and handling.

I cycle a lot, and my bike fits easily in the back.

The car is perfect for professional singles looking for something sporty, sleek and dependable.

Review Date: 24th April, 2010

2004 Toyota Solara SLE 3.3 V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 3.3 V6 Automatic
Previous carHonda Pilot

Summary:

It's the perfect mix of sensible and fun!

Right after I purchased the car (used), the rear window defroster stopped working. Luckily I discovered this within the dealer's 30 day warranty. They cannot just fix it or replace the window. The entire convertible top had to be replaced, which would have been a huge expense for me.

General Comments:

The car is not a racer, but it's fun to drive. The interior is great and has all the features that I wanted and more.

I just took the car on a 1000 mile road trip, and it was comfortable and got great gas mileage - better than the 2008 Accord 4 cyl we own.

Review Date: 1st July, 2009

2004 Toyota Solara SE Coupe V6 from North America

Engine and transmission V6 Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Avalanche

Summary:

This is the best car I have ever owned

Well so far the check engine light has turned itself on which is an oxygen sensor I just haven't had the time to fix. The passenger door also makes a banging noise as if it were to fall off, might just need some WD40 though. The paint has started to chip on the hood, hardly noticeable though, I think its because all the darn birds flying over and marking my car as a a bombing target, thus a lot of car washes.

General Comments:

Overall the car has been great, if you want speed I would recommend it, I have taken it out on old country roads and it gets up and goes, I haven't hit the speed govenor yet but I might hit it in the near future. It looks sporty and sleek. The drivers seat is actually very comfortable, I have taken it on long trips before and have never been disapointed. Sound system is good. I get around 24 mpg on avg which is OK. When your traveling the car runs very quiet, no varience what so ever. I have noticed that the Cars shocks aren't the best, I haven't had to replace them yet but you can feel it if you go over a rough patch.

Review Date: 6th July, 2008

2nd Jun 2009, 18:34

I read your review and my girlfriend has the same exact car. She loves it. She also had the same problem where the door was making a funny sound when opening and closing. There is a black plastic plate holding in a metal rod that is between the hinges. If you use a philips head screwdriver and tighten them up, it will get rid of the sound. Both doors did it with her car, but a simple fix. Not even worth mentioning, but it could be annoying.

Stan.

2004 Toyota Solara SLE from North America

Engine and transmission Don't Know
Previous carToyota MR2

Summary:

This particular one - BAD!!

I have a 2004 Toyota Solara convertible. I just stopped for gas tonight and then it wouldn't start again. It wouldn't even turn over. The lights (head and dash board) came on and the would flutter and all dash panel light would flash. A nice man offered to give me a jump start, but that didn't work. So I'm stuck at the gas pumps waiting for a tow truck. When the tow truck arrives he pulls out a battery pack and the car starts up. I drove around, but there was a low unfamiliar whining noise and the light would flutter if I didn't have my foot on the gas. once I got home, I turned of the car and now she's dead again. In addition, The top had to be repaired 2 times for air seals. Has anyone had problems with their Solara's?

General Comments:

I may have made a bad choice with this one, and Toyota's are generally really reliable.

Review Date: 28th January, 2006

30th Jan 2006, 13:58

With the symptoms that you mentioned, it seems to me like your alternator is gone. Have that checked out.

25th Feb 2006, 13:55

Very true about alternator... I recently had similar symptoms on my ford minivan... Alternator was the culprit.

2nd Jun 2009, 18:42

I read your problems and as the two others explained it probably is the alternator or battery. It is easy to check, if you start your engine and take off the negative terminal from the battery and the engine dies it is your alternator. If it keeps running then it is your battery.