2004 Toyota Solara SE 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Fabulous sports car at low economy price

I had a part in my passenger side door fall down while I was driving which prevented the door from being shut properly. I would have to roll down my window, shut my door, and then roll my window back up. I took it in got it fixed and have had no problems since. This was a minor problem and it is the ONLY thing I have had trouble with in my car.

General Comments:

I bought this car on ebay and had not seen it before I bought it. I was in Texas and the car was in Pennsylvania. That being said I set myself up for potential disaster if there was anything wrong with it. However, the car has been amazing. I have not a single complaint, but only praise for my car (I named him Barry).

The back seat is surprisingly roomy. I have more room in my back seat then some of my friends have in their 4 door cars.

The engine is very very quiet.

Even though I have the 4 cylinder engine it is a VVT engine which gives me much more power than my previous car which was a GM sierra with a 6 cylinder engine. So my 4 cylinder has much more power than my 6 cylinder ever dreamed of having.

The radio controls on the steering wheel are very handy.

I love the headlights on my car. They are bright and there has yet to be a situation that I have trouble seeing.

The trunk is surprisingly big. When I bought a coupe I was expecting the trunk to be much smaller, especially considering how big the back seat is, but the trunk has plenty of room.

This is an extremely fun car to drive and I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Review Date: 20th January, 2006

14th Mar 2008, 22:05

Had it one year and just traded it in for a RAV4. Being that I live in the Northeast, this car is not good in the snow. This car is nice "eye candy" but not a practical everyday car. If you consider buying this car, make sure it has the VSC option (not that it would make much of a difference). It's only good for warmer climates, not if you live in the north/northeast. Also, my car had an accelerator problem which made the car impossible to drive in the snow. From stop, normally if you pressed your accelerator lightly, you would expect some gradual acceleration, but not this car (it harshly grabbed and took off) and the dealer insisted that there was nothing wrong with the car.

5th Feb 2010, 09:36

I have never loved a car as much as I love my 2004 Solara. I also have named my car, and now we all call him Lary.

I always had the "mini van" to lug my kids, hockey equipment, friends and groceries around, and when I did not need a vehicle for all that anymore, I shopped around for a car that I felt would let me live a little bit on the "wilder side" for this decade of my life, and stumbled onto my little red Lary.

All the minor problems (three) that I have had cost under $200 to remedy, and because I used my local (trusted) car repair shop, I had it back the very same day.

I highly recommend this car for any middle class, 30, 40 or 50 something crowd!

8th Jan 2012, 15:46

I have to disagree about the Solara not being a good car in the winter... it all depends on the tires that are on the car. When I got my Solara and we had our first snow storm, the thing was absolutely horrible, it slid all over the place. Then I went to a local tire dealership and got a pair of tires with a nice deep aggressive tread pattern, and the car has been awesome in the snow!

2004 Toyota Solara SLE V6 3.0 from North America

Low pressure tyre light lit always. (Never fixed by dealer)

Tyre sensors and tyre pressure system is not working fine since I bought the car. (Never fixed by dealer)

There was sound coming from engine whenever you change the gear or when you start or stop the engine of car (fixed and replaced)

Pop sound start coming from left door and moon roof when you open or close it (Fixed)

Fog start appearing in right head light (replaced)

I would have love this car if I would't have dealt with these problems.

General Comments:

I like the car but i am not satisfied

Review Date: 22nd October, 2005

2nd Jun 2009, 18:47

Interesting. My girlfriend has the same car. The popping sound with the door can be fixed with a philips head screwdriver. Between the two hinges there is a black plate held in with two screws. There is a flat metal rod that goes from the door into the plate. If you tighten up the two screws it should eliminate the popping.

Hope this helps.