2004 Toyota Solara SLE 3.3 from North America

Summary:

Don't Buy One

The caster angle was outside manufacturer specifications. The minimum was supposed to be 2.1 degrees. Toyota dealers measured it at 1.9 to 2.0 I went to arbitration twice and the dealer and manufacturer lied (they stated it was inside spec) while I submitted proof from Toyota that it was outside spec.

General Comments:

If you have ever driven a car with very little caster you won't forget it. It is like driving on black ice! The angle is so shallow that wind, a passing car, or any slope to the rode will send you into the ditch.

By the way this is not unusual. Look on the internet and type in "left pull toyota"

Review Date: 7th October, 2005

21st Oct 2006, 18:52

This is a fixable (read hackable) problem.

Strut is spot welded to tower.

Mechanic will loosen bolts holding strut, take chisel to break spot welds.

Adjust to right spec.

Tighten bolts.

End of problem.

2004 Toyota Solara SLE V6 from North America

Summary:

Doesn't get worse than this

I have a 2004 Solara convertible.

A stain had to be removed from the paint.

The leather shifter had to be replaced due to the leather peeling.

I had to have the entire top replaced, including all bars, belts, etc. The explanation from the CT dealer was the alignment was off, which caused the fabric to rub against the molding and the fabric to tear.

It was supposed to be completed in 3 days, and my car was in service for 35 days! All the parts were on back order from overseas!

I also had problems with the windows leaking water, and had to bring it in 3 times. Finally I took pictures of the leaks in order for the dealer to fix it... what a waste of my time. My convertible is now starting to vibrate and rattle again, which is how I found the problem the 1st time!

I am currently gathering my information to file this vehicle under the Lemon Law.

General Comments:

I love my heated seats.

Review Date: 17th June, 2005

26th Aug 2005, 08:16

Question, regarding your Lemon Law filing. How did/has that process been working? Or how did you start it?

Did they say the rattling on your car was something that happened a lot, or was it your individual car?

21st Mar 2006, 23:52

Trust me... it gets a lot worse than this. A whole lot worse. These things are mere nuisances compared to what some cars give you.

18th Aug 2008, 15:10

I agree. Take a look at the terrible problems other Toyota owners are experiencing:

You might want to sell your Solara and any other Toyota you have while it is still running.

2004 Toyota Solara SLE 3.3L V6 from North America

Summary:

Car has a lot going for it, great coupe

Nothing.

General Comments:

This car has good power for metro driving, the five speed sequential automatic (you can shift manually also) works well.

I have vehicle stability control on this car, it does work, cuts engine throttle and starts applying ABS if it senses body roll.

It looks more expensive than it is, I have the special pearl paint.

Review Date: 2nd May, 2005

2004 Toyota Solara SE 2.4L Four from North America

Summary:

Great car for the money

Nothing so far.

General Comments:

At 8100 miles I am due for a regular oil change and a tire rotation. This car has only been to the dealer for regular maintenance. Not one defect to report.

The engine runs great and is very smooth even at idle. I needed a car to get back and forth to work that gives good gas mileage and the Solara does it. I am getting around 27-28 MPG. It can easily move out of it's own way in the city and highway.

The brakes stop the car well with no vibration or pull during hard stops.

Exterior styling is nice and the interior is very nice looking and comfortable. Lots of standard features for a sub $20,000 car.

Build quality is great. No squeaks or rattles.

Handles pretty well with base suspension and is great in wet weather. Ride quality is also good and is very comfortable even on long trips.

I usually keep my cars until they die. I have a feeling this car will have a long life with not too many problems.

Review Date: 17th December, 2004

2004 Toyota Solara SE 4- cylinder from North America

Summary:

Fun, Sleek, Roomy Coupe

Nothing has went wrong so far.

General Comments:

This is a great, sporty, fun car for the money. It drives like a more expensive car. It is a head turner, and everyone asks what kind of car it is.

The ride is smooth, and the back seat is roomy considering that it is a coupe. The trunk is roomy also.

I love this car and would recommend it.

Review Date: 13th December, 2004

20th Jul 2005, 22:29

I could not agree more... great car. Well stated.

30th Nov 2005, 15:11

I just bought a '04 Toyota Solara SLE about a month ago. I have already driven it about 1,000 miles. What a fabulous car! Drives so smooth and the interior is so comfortable. I absolutely love my navigation system and the heated seats. The artic white exterior paint reminds me of the pearl white that Cadillac uses and the body style reminds me of a Lexus. This car screams luxury without the luxury price tag. I highly recommend the 04 Solara SLE to everyone who wants the sporty 2-door look with the spaciousness of a sedan.

7th Dec 2005, 13:17

I have the SE basic model. This is a great car. Luxury at a afordable price. Perfect gas mileage, roomy, and great looking. Stongly recommended.