1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 3.4 V6 from North America

Summary:

Most reliable all around truck you can buy!

Absolutely nothing.

General Comments:

I used to have friends at every parts store in town when I drove domestic cars, but it's been lonely since I got my Tacoma, since nothing wears out. Sure, I still buy the occasion ice scraper or oil that I don't need to stay in touch with my parts salesman friends, but it's just not the same, since I never have any grease on my hands or the panicked look when they don't stock the parts I need, so they know I'm faking it.

I got my truck 2 years ago at 165,000 miles, and changed out all the fluids, brakes, tires and the timing belt as preventative maintenance. It's 2 years and 35,000 miles later, and I just hit 200,000 miles and I still haven't found one part that has worn out or started leaking. This thing is amazing!

It still drives like new, so I see no reason it shouldn't have another 200,000 miles in it.

It gets between 17 and 26 MPG depending on the season (the hotter the weather, the better the mileage). It doesn't leak or burn oil, and the tires barely show any wear so far.

I can't say enough good about my Tacoma... I highly recommend it!

Review Date: 19th February, 2013

9th Mar 2013, 21:53

Tacomas are great small trucks, although they do have one very big problem; the price! Sure they are probably worth it, but the prices people ask for these in the used market is absolutely ridiculous.

I have seen mid 90's Tacoma's with over 300k on them selling for over 10k. No truck with 300k on it is worth that much.

The Ford Ranger / Mazda B series trucks do everything the Tacoma does for less than half the price. My brother has over 350000 on his 97 Ranger, and it doesn't even burn any oil. Both trucks will still need maintenance like tires, oil changes, brakes, etc, so there is no point in paying double just for the Toyota brand name.

1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 3.4L V6 from North America

Summary:

Great truck, small enough for a city, big enough for the mountains

No breakdowns to speak of. The clutch was replaced at 150k, and the dealer is still working on getting that right. The throwout bearing keeps going out. There doesn't seem to be any problem with the drive train, and it doesn't leave me stranded or anything, just an annoying chirp. The dealer has been good in honoring the clutch warranty.

All maintenance has been normal maintenance, hasn't broken down or even threatened to really.

Get an alarm. These parts are desirable, apparently.

General Comments:

Great truck. I've had 2000 lbs in the bed for short trips, and it took it like a champ, popped right back up on the springs after I unloaded it.

It's pretty comfortable for long trips, and does great off road. ABS would be nice in the winter, but that same level of safety can be accomplished by not driving like a yahoo.

It's been very reliable, like I said above, only normal maintenance (a clutch at 150k is totally normal).

Gas mileage: 16 in town, 19 or so on the highway, and I'm not a particular leadfoot. When I do drive faster, it drops to 17.5 or so. 4 Wheel Drive will drop you 1-2 mpg in the winter, but it's a rock in the snow in 4wd.

As a truck that's used primarily as a commuter and a vehicle to get me way back up into the mountains to backpack or bike ride.

Review Date: 25th March, 2011

1996 Toyota Tacoma 2.7 from North America

Summary:

Like a Tercel with 4WD -- and as a Tercel lover, I consider that high praise

The starter went out at about 95,000 miles, the shocks were replaced at about 100,000 miles, and the engine light has been on intermittently for the past 50,000 miles.

General Comments:

Excellent truck with no repairs needed for the past 80,000 miles. I have the 2.7L 4 cylinder, which has decent torque, but I suspect that it may have inadvertently been mated to the gearbox for the V6, as first and second seem to be spaced too far apart.

That aside, this truck is just how a truck should be -- no frills (no power windows, locks, or seats), great utility, and extreme reliability. Off road capability is excellent, and the truck is so light that it can successfully navigate terrain that will swallow trucks with twice the power.

MPG is okay -- 21mpg hwy -- but I kind of expected better MPG from only 150hp. That said, I still love it and would not replace it with anything larger.

Review Date: 18th November, 2009

22nd Apr 2013, 15:34

This is my truck, just providing an update. It now has 230,000 miles, and 15,000 miles ago I converted it to run on CNG (bi-fuel). Still runs like a champ. It does leak oil, and the front bench has started to fall apart, but other than that, no issues -- it's still pretty bullet proof.

I still have a bit of a wandering eye for a full size truck, but I would miss the combination of great mileage (with the CNG), good utility, manual transmission, windows, and locks, maneuverability, etc.