2000 Toyota Tacoma Reviews

Year of manufacture1999
First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission 3.4L Manual
Previous carMazda Protege

Summary:

Old faithful

At 125000, I replaced the water pump and the timing belt.

I replaced the front brake pads for the first time at 150000.

This truck was mechanically awesome.

Gas mileage was not the best, but the reliability was outstanding.

General Comments:

Great truck.

Had the 4x4 off road extended cab package. Plenty of room in the cab with the extended area behind the seats. Did great off road. 4 low in second gear; you could climb a wall.

CD player, AC, heat, electric windows and door locks -- nothing on this truck ever failed.

Seats were not comfortable for long trips. Shoot, they weren't comfortable for short trips. Flat with no lumbar support at all.

I moved to the Midwest where they salt the roads. Seven years after moving to Kansas, the truck started rusting, and in 2010 Toyota bought it back from me as part of a recall: the frame had rusted through. I was sad to see the truck go, although Toyota was very fair with what they paid me. I know that if I'd have stayed in a state that didn't salt the roads, my truck would still be my daily driver. That truck had at least another 100000 miles in her, easily.

Review Date: 23rd August, 2011

30th Jan 2012, 21:06

These are some tough trucks. I'm a mechanic for a local courier service, and there are several of these trucks in the fleet. Currently, an '01 Tacoma holds the company record for the highest mileage on the original drivetrain: 652,000 miles on it. It's an unbelievable little beast. It uses only a quart of oil every oil change. Dozens of different drivers use it every week, it's been smashed, dinged, backed into, you name it. The body doesn't look perfect, but the engine sure runs perfect. Oddly enough, Toyota did not buy back this truck (and yes, it did suffer from the frame rot) instead they replaced the frame... when the truck already had 487,000 on it. With the current condition of the frame and engine, it should be good for another 652K.

All of the Tacoma's in our fleet have over 350K miles on them. All of them are completely original (minus a few small odds an ends, but no major repairs have ever been required.) We also use Ford Rangers and and a few Superduties for some heavier work. We have a tough time keeping the Fords out of the shop it seems. The most I've seen on one of our Fords was 217,000 miles. And I was completely rebuilding the front suspension on it as it was totally shot.

2000 Toyota Tacoma Base 4X4 2.7 4 cylinder from North America

Year of manufacture1999
First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 2.7 4 cylinder Manual
Previous carNissan Altima

Summary:

The best pickup money can buy!

Nothing has went wrong yet!

General Comments:

This truck is perfect. It is fairly good on gas for having 31in tires on it. But the 2.7 is a lot better than the old 2.4 the pickups used to have.

If you want a fast car, the Tacoma is not for you. But, if you want a tough as nails go anywhere truck, this is it.

I would suggest the 2.7 regular cab because the truck doesn't weigh so much. But if you need the extended cab try to get the V6.

My 1990 Pickup got 240,000 miles on the first transmission and still was running on the first engine when I sold it. And, I predict this truck will do the same.

These things are almost impossible to find used unless you want to pay 1000 dollars more than the retail value on it, so if you find a deal on one, don't wait, pull the trigger.

Review Date: 27th June, 2009

2000 Toyota Tacoma SR-5 from North America

Year of manufacture2000
Engine and transmission Manual
Previous carFord F150

Summary:

A great reliable vehicle that is built to last

Passenger seat broke at 137,000 miles and had to be fixed. (It was jammed in the fold down position).

Engine light turned on at 135,000 (will need a sensor, which will cost $300).

General Comments:

I love this truck and will drive it until it comes apart. This is my second Toyota truck (I had an 1988, which had 130,000 on it and drove like new, but it was stolen).

I have the SR-5 extra cab version and really like the extra room in the back. Not enough for two adults, but you can squeeze them in if you really need to.

The engine and standard 5 speed transmission have never given me any problems. The original clutch is still working fine.

The inside has normal wear and tear and other than the passenger seat breaking at 137,000 miles, everything is working fine. A/C, stereo, heater, fan, lights.

Toyota makes great cars and trucks and I highly recommend them. They are pricey, but worth it. Reliable trucks that are built to last.

Review Date: 8th May, 2009