2005 Toyota Tacoma Reviews

Year of manufacture2005
Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 2.7L Manual
Previous carNissan Hardbody Pickup

Tailgate is flimsy. Bent it the first year I owned the truck.

General Comments:

Other than the flimsy tailgate and serious lack of ground clearance for a 4x4, I can't say anything bad.

The power of the 4 cylinder is phenomenal. I've towed over 4000 pounds on the country rounds, pulling 4th gear @ 45-50mph easily. Have had the bed stacked to the roof with firewood, towing a 2000 pound wood splitter, pulling 65-70mph on the interstate with ease in overdrive. And get between 20-23 MPG consistently.

I live in the mountains, so lots of hills. It's no V-6, but for what it is and considering the overly steep gearing (3.58), the pull is fantastic. Can hit 90 on the off ramps to the interstate easily. I believe over time this motor will replace Toyota's 22re as Toyota's greatest 4 cylinder ever. Silky smooth, great power, very efficient.

Review Date: 6th October, 2012

8th Oct 2012, 17:51

There was a recall on the tailgate. Shame you didn't get the V6, it's got a lot of power!

2005 Toyota Tacoma Base Regular Cab 2.7 from North America

Model year2005
Year of manufacture2005
Most recent distance12000 miles
Previous carNissan Pathfinder

Summary:

Spartan and overrated

Nothing wrong, it was new. Very thin and cheap.

General Comments:

Tacoma 22-24 on the highway. Maybe 18-20 around town. It has a plastic bed. It has a base interior, not much can go wrong.

For me, the negatives were; it was airborne on the highway at normal speed taking on highway strips, which is uncomfortable. The rear quarters both dented from leaning on them. The headlights filled up with moisture. It wasn't capable of towing anything.

I found a (5 years older) 2000 Ford F-250 Supercab Lariat 7.3 4x4 with all the goodies. It gets up to 26 mpg on the highway, depending on how fast I'm going. It also tows my 5 ton boat package with no issues and still gets 15-16 towing.

Choices: for the same money, I have a more useable vehicle. I can see the Toyota as a perfect vehicle for someone, but you can get so much more in a full-sized truck. Certainly, don't make the decision to buy one only for gas mileage, you'll be disappointed.

Review Date: 9th March, 2012

30th Apr 2012, 19:19

Wow, you must really have been disappointed to wait almost 6 years to review this truck. Given the fact that you admittedly purchased a bare bones model, it should be no surprise that the loaded, 5 year old truck you ended up with, served your purposes better. Sounds like you should have gone with a full-sized truck with a big V8 to begin with.

1st May 2012, 12:46

The tendency of Japanese manufacturers to use the cheapest available materials often leaves one disappointed with them. I laughed about the "denting from leaning on it" statement. Some years ago a friend and I were standing and leaning up against his Camry wagon when there was a loud "WHUMP!". My friend (who weighed about 150 pounds) had totally caved in the front fender on the 6-month old car.

1st May 2012, 14:23

I made the exact same mistake with a new extended S10; at the time I was thinking MPG. I kept it so I wouldn't take a big loss, but then bought a new Silverado. A little more in gas, but it was a very smart move. If you have a small car and it's a hatchback, it probably would be better if mileage is your main concern. On weekends and even the 10 minute ride to work, the full size works very well. I buy a lot off CL, and it's great to bring home many items without a worry.

1st May 2012, 16:06

6 years is a perfect amount of time to write a vehicle review, unlike some others on this site who write a perfect review after a week of ownership, and then update every other week.

2nd May 2012, 18:16

Imagine shopping for a brand new vehicle, and the latest review would be a 2006. I don't even keep a vehicle over 3 years old.

2nd May 2012, 19:02

You are absolutely right, many reviewers post reviews too early and/or never follow up. However, this reviewer only owned the truck for a year, not six.