1985 Toyota Van Reviews - Page 4 of 4

Year of manufacture1985
Most recent year of ownership2002
Most recent distance242000 kilometres
Previous carNissan Micra

Summary:

A very functional design, which I can't understand why it doesn't exist anymore!!

I've recently done the contacts in the starter. One hour job and only cost $30 for the parts. Simple repair really.

The tires will need changing more often than most other vehicles because of the tight steering circle on this thing. I use it quite often, so I'll need new rubber soon.

I'll need to fix the rear key cylinder. It doesn't unlock the back door. I looked at it the other day, it seems to be badly corroded.

The horn doesn't work right now. I'll do that soon.

The van was broken into and the lock cylinders seemed to break off of the door panels quite easily.

General Comments:

The interior fan is noisy. As is the rear fan.

It could really use a tail wind when ever possible. I also don't like the idea that the overdrive gear is not just a normal gear. I'm forever turning it on and off, and forgetting that it's on.

Cross wind on the highway or a bridge, can get pretty spooky.

I use it as a tradesman van, and I love that I can fit a full size sheet of 4 x 8 plywood in it.

This is a perfect little vehicle. It's great on gas, roomy, reliable, and not too too bad to look at*.

*Mine is not rusted too bad yet. I do know others have a huge problem with this.

I'm at 240000 right now and I'm told that with my religious maintenance, I should be able to hit 400000.

Review Date: 28th February, 2002

3rd Jun 2002, 22:18

I had an '85 Toyota Van that had accumulated 465,000 KMS on it before someone with an Acura Legend T-boned it on the passenger side; it still ran too, but wasn't safe to drive anymore: (Up to then it was as reliable as the earth turns, and I would buy another.

1985 Toyota Van LE 2.0 4 cylinder from North America

Year of manufacture1985
First year of ownership1998
Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 2.0 4 cylinder Automatic
Distance when acquired182000 miles
Most recent distance220454 miles
Previous carToyota Corolla

Summary:

A roomy and very comfortable van

I bought this van in 98 for $1500 hundred and it runs very well.

I have never had engine problems, I have only replaced the alternator and fuel pump, and that's it.

It got me where I wanted to go, I took it to guadalajara Jalisco which is in central Mexico 2 times, when I bought it in Aug 98 and again in June 2001.

This is one of my best vehicles I've owned. I sold it in November 10 and I bought a 91 Toyota Previa. I'm taking it to Mexico in December 01.

Review Date: 1st December, 2001