1989 Toyota Van Reviews - Page 3 of 3

1989 Toyota Van wagon LE 2.0 from North America

Year of manufacture1989
Most recent year of ownership2002
Previous carChevrolet Caprice

Summary:

The best purchase I have made in a long time

Since I have had it, all I have had to do is replace the alternator the rear brakes and intall a nice sound system.

It is fully customized, someone stole the television and I am looking to replace it with a DVD player.

General Comments:

I really love this Van. I have had two Aerostars in the past and the same thing happened to both, the transmissions.

So I decided to try my little toy van. It runs good, looks good, and I am looking forward to having it for a very long time.

The body has little rust. The interior is customized, complete with fold down seats. It is a great town car and it is great on gas.

I drive this car all over New York City everyday and it has never let me down.

I bought my van for $500.00 from a salvage yard and it is the best purchase I have made in a long time.

Review Date: 25th January, 2003

14th Apr 2003, 12:55

Yes, indeedy do, welcome to the club! There's a small, but growing number of us who realize what a special toy these 84-89 LE vans are. Mine is customized as well (a second home on wheels). As part of my job I drive newer "nicer" vehicles all day long, but when I'm done I can't wait to jump in my 87' LE with 222,000 miles on it 'cause it's more comfy & fun to drive, yahoo! Like a cowboy on his favorite horse, an unbeatable combo, zoom, zoom, & giddy-yup!!

13th Apr 2004, 09:10

Hello, I live in Miami, Florida and I have owned a 1987 Toyota van wagon for 3 yrs now. This truck is a marvel of japanese engineering. I have used it mainly for work purposes, like deliveries, car wash and trips to Georgia, South Carolina and New York. It has over 200,000 miles on it, but starts like a baby everyday I use it to work. I took all the seats out and the rug because they were in very poor conditions, but it is better this way to work inside the van. I will have this van for hopefully a very long time. It is very useful and I take care of it very well.

1989 Toyota Van LE small from North America

Year of manufacture1989
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission small Automatic
Distance when acquired120000 miles

Summary:

A fun van that hangs on to life like it fears death

The rear sliding door fell off and the back door doesn't open. It has oil leaks, exhaust leaks, and a charming hole in the muffler. When it's wet out it has trouble getting going.

General Comments:

This car ran through the mountains without oil. It ws trashed and rusted out when I got it, but it hangs on like it fears death. I expected the whole thing to rust out and everything vital to fall off, but so far just the door. The seats are relatively comfortable, except for the fact that the engine is beneath the front seats which gets a little hot in the summer. It overheats in the mountains, but that may be due to it's many oil leaks or other problems. In general the people who designed this had to have been a little crazy as the windshield washer fluid is in the back. I look forward to trying the new toyota van--the sienna.

Review Date: 22nd May, 2002

5th Apr 2003, 22:37

Hi All...

I am looking for the site or email address that we can register our Toyotas with over 100k miles...

My buddy at work has a camry XLE that is over 186k miles.

When I registered my Van I got a pen in the mail???

Thanks.

--Ariel G.

13th Jul 2008, 23:38

Hi, I have a 1988 Van LE 2wd with 248600 miles and running. I do recommend the Toyota Sienna; my dad had the '05 AWD LE. it has some recalls, but the major problem was the alignment in the rear axle; it will eat your RUN FLAT (no spare tire) tires in 18000 miles (even rotation). Toyota says: we know and we are not responsible. That's its only problem, but it runs smooth and has power.

20th Jul 2009, 10:22

The window washer reservoir for the windshield is under the front passenger carpet; peel back from under the dash area. Use a funnel!