2009 Vauxhall Insignia CDTi SRi 2.0 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Just a good car

The dreaded Diesel Particle Filter (DPF) light intermittently on and off - a common problem on most modern diesels and a real annoyance, seems to light up every now and then and go out on its own, even after "clearing out" with aggressive acceleration. Mechanic reckons it's just the sensor and does not need replaced yet, though will be expensive when the time comes.

General Comments:

A great car to drive and a huge improvement over the previous Vectra (though not as bad a car as people made out), the Insignia is an all new car designed from the ground up, now on par with the Ford Mondeo on overall ability (I can comment, I have owned both, to be honest there is little in it now, they are both good cars). I think Vauxhall really tried with this one and it shows, the car is nice to be in and the interior is comfortable, smooth driving experience and economical. Mine is a 2009 model; I bought when it was just a year old, which I'm glad at because I think after 2010 they made them all with the electronic handbrake which I do not like, I prefer the old levers. We were doing fine with them, and I hate the modern electronic E-brakes. Mind you, I might upgrade to a 2013 onwards model soon and live with the electronic brake; they have updated the front and rear end - it is one good looking car, and now even better looking. Black SRi models are the best lookers in my opinion.

Used values aren't as strong, as I'd like it to have held its value a bit better, but I got a good deal on this one to begin with. The 2.0 diesel is the one to go for in SRi spec (lovely alloy wheels) however should you see a petrol 1.8, consider it also as modern diesels have a reputation now for being expensive to repair (DPF/DMF/Injectors, etc), and that defeats the purpose of saving money on fuel. So the petrol ones on lower "Exclusiv" specs are worth considering, and you get decent equipment as standard anyway and a decent 1.8 engine.

Overall a good car and a great used buy now at bargain prices; choose one to suit your needs, and be very picky as there are lots out there on the used market now.

Review Date: 28th June, 2016

2009 Vauxhall Insignia SE 1.8 petrol from UK and Ireland

A looker that's so-so at best

Nothing really - the gearbox went at 85k due to accident damage, but that's pilot error, not the car's fault.

General Comments:

I found the performance to be adequate for the small petrol motor - 6th gear @ 85mph all day on the motorway returning 35 - 38 MPG, which I thought was OK. It's a straight line cruiser and not a car for the twisties.

The SE was well equipped - a DAB radio is a must these days - yet despite all this and peerless reliability, I never bonded with this motor and wouldn't have another.

Overall it leaves an indelible blank on the memory!

Review Date: 20th July, 2013

2009 Vauxhall Insignia Elite Nav 2.0 CDTI turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Heated seats - the car has been in and out of the garage approx 20 times. The driver's seat has failed every year since I have owned the car, and the passenger seat has failed twice. I had to complain direct to Vauxhall to replace the leather seat cover, as the seat had been removed so many times the stitching was coming apart. The latest fiasco is that I have been waiting 7 weeks for a modified part, which is on back order and no expected date. The driver's seat part failed within 12 months of last replacement, so should be covered under the part warranty, but whilst waiting for the back order part, the passenger seat has failed again, but there is a question mark whether Vauxhall will pick up the cost for this, as the manufacturer warranty has expired. I will be challenging this, as this is a known fault, and Vauxhall have not exactly gone out of their way to rectify their faulty design.

Each year, when the temperature is warm (about 21 degrees), after moving off from cold, the car goes into a spasm. About 2 minutes into the journey, I have moved into 6th gear at 50+ mph and the car starts a major misfire / stuttering. This lasts for about 30 seconds and then clears. Vauxhall can't find a fault as it is intermittent and no fault found, but something is not right.

Vauxhall front badge on the grille has snapped off. Luckily I spotted this before it came completely off and glued it back on, but I have seen other Insignia models with the front badge missing.

Rear brake discs replaced at 28000 miles due to brake pads scoring the discs. No warning light or code was displayed telling me that pads were low. Handbook says it will. 28K for rear discs is ridiculous, especially as I do mostly motorway driving and very little heavy braking.

General Comments:

The car has reasonable pick up, and mechanically has been reliable, bar the heated seats.

Plenty of room and a nice cabin lay out.

Fuel economy - averages 43.6 MPG for normal driving. The most I have seen was 53.6 MPG by filling up, joining a motorway straight away and cruising at 56mph for the rest of the journey - could be better.

Rear boot narrows so can be a little restrictive loading wide items - wish I had gone for the sports tourer.

Despite the problems, I still love the car and it does pretty much what I want it to. I will keep the car for some time yet, and expect to do 150K+, but following the ongoing problems with the heated seats, I'm not sure if I will stay with Vauxhall in the future.

Review Date: 10th May, 2013