2009 Vauxhall Insignia SRi 1.8 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Great

Computer keeps coming up with an alarm that says A/C off due to engine overheating.

General Comments:

Love it.

Review Date: 29th May, 2011

2009 Vauxhall Insignia SRi 1.8 from UK and Ireland

I bought the car in December last year, and have to say I was impressed with it. But after 2 weeks, I could hear a grinding come squeal noise coming from the brakes as I drove. I have taken it into Vauxhall, who said straight away they will change the brake system, as it is a known problem. I will have to wait a week, as they have run out of parts, due to the increase in this problem with other cars. I will keep you all up to date.

Review Date: 14th January, 2011

2nd Mar 2012, 14:33

Hello. I have a 2012 2.0 CDi SRi Insignia. Took it to Vauxhall. They said they have never seen this before. It could be the brake pads, as they are now made without asbestos. Don't know what to do, as the grinding is getting worse every day, and I've only done 3000 miles. It's driving me mad, as I can now feel it through the pedals. Any ideas?

21st Mar 2013, 22:37

I live in North Cornwall where it is fairly hilly. Allegedly the taxis around here are all on THREE sets of disc pads per year. I used to commute using a Rover SD1 V8 auto. The journey involved a climb to about 300 to 400 feet, then a drop to almost sea level, then another climb. Brake pads would be down to the steel in six months - they are a consumable item!

Way back along I repaired a Telma Retarder brake controller fitted to a stone hauling lorry. The controller had a corroded joint in it. "Wow I'm glad to have that fixed" said the bloke "as without that the brakes only last about a fortnight!"

Note that new cars are put together in a hurry, and it is likely that the brake pad sliders might not be treated with "Coppaslip". A lot of jobs on a new car are actually the responsibility of the dealer.

As to new cars, I can remember a garage getting a brake testing machine when these became part of the MOT (prior to that the brakes were tested on public roads). Several new cars were tried on the testing machine and ALL failed the test! This is because it takes time for the brakes to "bed in".

Where I live, the local Motor Factors supply "Mintex" pads in hologrammed boxes and the pads are very good. Avoid counterfeit parts at all costs.

2009 Vauxhall Insignia Exclusiv 2.0 CDTI turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Would buy another

Also have badly marked rear discs - front perfect.

Travel 52 mile round trip to work (mostly motorway); best MPG obtained was 44.

Tyre size 245 x 45 - 18; mileage on front tyres 12,500, rear tyres still on the car.

Intermittent electrical fault that affects the the radio volume control (jumps up or down 3 or 4 levels) and also affects the indicator lamp timing (starts later than needed & flashes slightly longer than needed), fault never there when I take it back to the dealer (only occurs approx once a month).

Orange lamp with spanner appeared on dash, & took out cruise control; switch on order with dealer.

Noticed a very slight clunk from the transmission, more or less from new, but no worse after 22,500 miles.

General Comments:

Love the car, quick, good acceleration when needed, good road holding (useless in the snow & ice, fails where other smaller cars manage).

Comfortable, but as I am 6' 3", the driver's seat is quite a way back, so not a lot of leg room in the rear (bit of a shock for such a large car).

DAB radio has superb sound quality.

Hands free phone is very easy to use.

Review Date: 11th January, 2011