2009 Vauxhall Insignia SE 1.8 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Very up market, classy, comfortable car

The first problem I found was getting used to the electronic parking brake. I just could not get it to release first time by the described method in the hand book. The hill assist and starting from a stationary road junction worked perfect, At first I put it down to my inability to getting the sequence right when starting the engine for the first time.

The cruise control would not engage. The light on the dash shows up, but the engine just falls away when you release the accelerator pedal. No amount of twiddling of the RES+ or SET- controls on the steering wheel makes any difference.

These problems may be linked, I am waiting to find out from the dealer.

General Comments:

The car is a dream to drive, good visibility, and very smooth ride.

Steering is light and positive.

Excellent design in the cabin. Everything is easy to see and reach.

The climate controls are very clearly marked and easy to operate.

Review Date: 2nd October, 2010

9th Sep 2012, 06:24

I get a hire car every couple of weeks, and they sometimes drop off a 1.8. I've never driven anything with less power than these cars; rubbish. The diesel Insignia's on the other hand are far far better, and the performance is really good.

Keep away from the petrol ones!

16th Nov 2012, 18:31

I agree, but unfortunately found out the hard way. We looked at petrol vs diesel, and went for petrol due to our last diesel having faults that were expensive to repair. So simple petrol it was. After 1 week, the car was traded back in and a diesel one was bought. Lost a lot of money, but couldn't look at the car and feel happy at all. It was powerless, and the MPG was really shocking. The diesel was more expensive, but by far the better car. My advice is pay for the diesel Insignia; it may cost more, but in the long run the petrol will bleed you dry.

23rd Nov 2012, 07:31

Well guess what? The new 1.4 turbo hasn't solved the problem. It is just as bad as the 1.8, although it has lower CO2 emissions, which means cheaper VED.

And to think that 15 years ago the 140 BHP Vectra 2.0 offered the ideal combination of performance and economy, but ever since manufacturers started their relentless pursuit to achieve the highly coveted 5-star EuroNCAP safety rating, cars have gotten so heavy that 140 BHP is not enough any more.

I'm all for cars getting safer, but manufacturers should focus on weight reduction as well.

2009 Vauxhall Insignia Exclusiv 1.8 from UK and Ireland

Rattle seems to be down driver's side, lost half wheel nut covers, been back to Vauxhall who stuck tape around pipes box etc rattle went, now back again.

Noticed a nut missing from a holder holding air con pip, secured but still have rattle, battery cover box secured down as bagging, water in tread of doors, and wind noise through drivers door not bad for a brand new car.

Anyone else had these problems, please advise as Vauxhall will soon have my keys back if they don't fix it.

General Comments:

Nice looking.

Review Date: 5th April, 2010

13th Apr 2010, 15:49

I have had the same problem with water collecting on the door sill. After a year of complaints, Vauxhall have fitted new door seals and it has cured the problem.

Wheel nut covers; I have lost 6 of them, but Vauxhall has replaced them. They told me to blu-tack them on. Not lost any more so far.

13th Aug 2010, 06:48

I have had the same problems with the wheel nut covers coming off, and water on the door sills. Vauxhall has sorted the problems out after a year of complaints.

I have a problem with very stiff gear changes from 2nd to 4th; it is intermittent. Has anyone else had the problem with the gear changing?