2000 Vauxhall Omega Reviews - Page 3 of 4

2000 Vauxhall Omega Elite 3.0 24v V6 from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 3.0 24v V6 Automatic
Previous carVauxhall Senator

Summary:

Very good price secondhand. Fast comfort

Crankshaft position sensor progressively failed giving about 15mins journey time with 45min rest periods! Temperature-related fault. New one diagnosed and replaced for £180 by independent car electrical specialist.

Car wanders badly on its 235/45/17 rubber. New front wishbones have improved it, but not enough. Front bushes were MOT-failures, but entire wishbones only cost £130 for the pair including new bolts. Interestingly my local GM parts supplier said they don't fit new bolts in their workshop - I was going from a Haynes Carlton/Senator manual because GM won't supply an official manual.

Nearside front locking motor went lazy and a new micro-switch solved that for £1.90!.

Air-con appears to go cold after about an hour's use - will have to check sensors. Small loss of engine coolant MAY be in heater matrix as we steam up while parked overnight if it's cold.

Engine coolant level sensor says it's low when it isn't. Appears to be integral with header-tank so will live with it or disconnect.

General Comments:

Lovely car to drive if I can get the wandering sorted.

Comfortable.

Excellent sound system, but I have to turn the bass down.

Pulls better than the Senator (3.0 12v CDi) did. Lovely muted growl.

Paintwork (Ural Mountain) looks fantastic, but does chip and mark easily.

Rear indicators (white lenses) not very visible.

Review Date: 12th March, 2004

17th Jul 2005, 07:22

RPM sensor went on my 98 elite. £120 to replace at Vauxhall dealers. Header tank fault, buy original part with integral sensor for £32 and replace it yourself, easy, I'm disabled as well. Seat heaters have stopped working!!! Fuses all OK cannot find and bad connections, any suggestions welcome.

2000 Vauxhall Omega MV6 3.0 petrol from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 3.0 petrol Manual
Previous carVauxhall Vectra

Summary:

Superb performance car

Nothing.

General Comments:

Superb performance estate, see's off the boy racers in absolute comfort and ease. The estates load lugging almost truck like, have carried 4ft x 6ft slated bed pool table, just had to take the legs off to get it in.

Review Date: 4th April, 2003

16th Mar 2007, 04:01

The vauxhall omega is one of the best car I have ever had it has never let me down and the heater warms up fast on a cold day.

2000 Vauxhall Omega CD 2.5 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 2.5 turbo diesel Manual
Previous carNissan Prairie

Summary:

Solid comfortable long distance cruiser

AA pre sale Inspection revealed a steering pull to the left. Still there slightly - influenced by road camber -even after 4 wheel laser alignment.

Differential oil seal leaked - £90 to fix.

Lots of problems with the air bag warning light coming on - which deactivates the airbags! I think the problem was the wiring loom was too tight up to the steering wheel air bag. I think I know more about the air bag system than the main dealer now! Fixed under warranty.

Front brake pad wear sensor wiring can make changing the brake pads a pain. Not a good design.

Diesel fuel filter difficult to get at.

Faulty relay caused engine not to turn off - even with the key out.

Some minor hot re-start problems.

Main dealer not very impressive.

General Comments:

The BMW sourced 6 cylinder diesel is lovely. Not a lot of power - 130 bhp - but very smooth. Quite adequate and it returns 36-39 mpg and can still apparently do 120 mph.

Generally built like a (nice) tank and very comfortable and easy to drive, although the steering could be a bit more positive.

Review Date: 2nd March, 2003

16th Sep 2003, 08:02

I totally agree with you about the car. Only had mine for 7 months and done 7k in mileage since then. Regularly get about 30-33mpg from my diesel Omega.

However, like quite a few other owners I now have a distrust of the dealers. Took mine in for some work and it seemed to come out with another fault.

As for cruising on motorways, it eats up the distances and you get to the end feeling relaxed. I get about 45mpg at about 60mph. It does have a good lick of speed, but takes it time to get there.

21st Feb 2004, 11:37

I'm a bit surprised at the fuel consumption figures you both have reported. I recently bought a 2.0l petrol CDX and was a little disappointed that I couldn't find a decent Diesel engined car anywhere as I had really wanted the economy to go with the luxury.

I am getting an average mixed driving consumption (town, traffic jams, A+B roads and some dual carriageway) of 31-33mpg. And I actually had to take a photo of the trip computer for proof when I arrived at Tenby last week (some dual carriageway, but mostly hilly A+B roads) because it read 42mpg!! I have calculated my consumption manually and it adds up to the same figures. I drive smoothly mostly, but often floor the throttle to the redline when necessary. The servicing intervals are every 10k miles so maybe petrol wasn't such a bad choice after all?