2001 Vauxhall Vectra Reviews

2001 Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 from UK and Ireland

Model year2001
Previous carFord Ka

Summary:

Great, but hate the sticking windows

I purchased my Vectra 2001 1.8 in 2007 quite cheaply, and I must admit I do love the car for its look, comfort, ride and usefulness.

There is downside though. The sort of things you don't check when buying a used car (not any more) like sticking front windows. Both sides, both slide up and down out of resentment more than willingness, making a dreadful noise to boot. I'm not sure if this is a common fault with Vectras of this age generally.

At 90000 miles, the engine started cutting out after starting up. This was eventually diagnosed as Electronic Management System fault, which cost £300 to fix. Again, I don't know if this is common or symptomatic of cars of this age.

General Comments:

I hate the windows sticking and the air con not working, or is it just the button?

But I want the car to work as I like it so much. It is a joy to drive, and while I know it is a mass volume production car, it does exactly what it says on the tin. It's roomy, comfortable, audio loom for hands free mobile, huge boot.

Review Date: 21st April, 2009

22nd Apr 2009, 16:07

I have a 2001 Vauxhall Vectra which had slow noisy windows that would sometimes give up completely. I took the inside door panel off and greased the rails (which the window sits on) and sprayed them with some WD40 for good measure, now the windows go up and down with no complaints at all.

25th Apr 2009, 15:18

Just got mine back from the garage for this exact problem. 2001 1.8 LS with 910000 on the clock. The drivers window was slow, noisy and sometimes just couldn't be bothered to open at all. The garage could find no faults, just gave it all a good clean and spray. Now it is as good as new all for £35. The passenger window is going the same way so will do that one myself.

My air con also died a few years ago, I have had the car since 2002. The air con needed new pipes in several places which was around £500. Switches on e-bay / breakers are very cheap so try this first, when you press it you should hear the air con motor kick in, if you don't then it's pointing to that. If you do but you have no cold air, then you will probably need a re-gas indicating potential leak on a pipe.

Hope this helps.

Action.

2001 Vauxhall Vectra SRi 150 2.2 from UK and Ireland

Distance when acquired42000 miles
Previous carCitroen Xantia

Summary:

Nice looking reliable car

Windscreen washers blocked.

Drivers electric window has become very slow when opening and sometimes stops half way down.

Replaced timing chain as it was getting noisy when starting engine - not cheap!

General Comments:

I got the timing chain replaced as I heard that these engines (2000-2002) had a reputation for them snapping. As mine was starting to rattle when starting up I thought I'd better get it renewed before it went bang.

Not too bad on petrol, I get between 33-37mpg which is quite good for a 2.2 16v.

Performance is good, though you do need to push the engine above 3000 revs to really feel the 150bhp.

Paint chips very easily and starts to rust quickly so needs touching up regularly especially on front of bonnet.

Overall a reliable car.

Review Date: 5th May, 2008

2001 Vauxhall Vectra GSi 2.6 V6 from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 2.6 V6 Manual
Previous carVauxhall Vectra

Summary:

Great alternative to the Scooby or old school BMW M3

Broken coil spring on the front right wheel. This was after a session on the track but the car behaved well and let me cruise to a stop. New coil springs for both front wheels cost me £140 including fitting.

General Comments:

Absolutely great car. The 2001 GSi was a limited run of 500 cars and Vauxhall finally got it right! If you can find one of these extremely rare cars and you're a Vectra fan... grab it!

Very quick but equally, very thirsty. Don't bother unless you have deep pockets for petrol! I average about 28MPG when driving "sensibly" and about 21MPG when going nuts...

The GSi will eat most BMW's for breakfast and spit out a Porsche Boxster or two. It will comfortably keep up with a Scooby. As for boy racers in their little Saxos' and Astras', you'll be showing them the error of their ways in no uncertain terms.

Reliability wise, I've had no issues with the car. Very solid and well built. Gear change is crisp and steering is immaculate. However, the steering is Power Assist, not full Power Steering and those huge tires can be difficult to steer in tight spots!

Check service history before buying! Pay particular attention to timing belt, if it wasn't done at 40k miles, steer well clear!

Review Date: 24th April, 2008