2001 Vauxhall Vectra GSi 2.6 V6 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

High performance to surprise the competition

Nothing so far (touching wood)

General Comments:

This is definitely a wolf in sheep's clothing. My last Vectra was a 2.4 SRi which had poor acceleration in low engine speed, Vauxhall/MSD have sorted that out, its hard not to drive fast in this beast. The Recaro seats take some getting used to, but theyre electric, and can extend to support longer legs. It's a gas guzzler, but it doesn't wait around, be prepared to suprise Subaru drivers!

Review Date: 27th November, 2003

13th Dec 2003, 15:12

2.4 Vectra SRi? You mean 2.5 right?

Anyway, I liked very much your review and I agree with you. The Vectra GSi is a true wolf in sheep's clothing.

Mine is a 2002 GSi Estate 2.6 V6 24V. I would like to know, which one do you have? The hatch, saloon, estate?

Thank You!

3rd Jan 2004, 13:10

I agree, I have a 2.6 SRi 180, and it's a stonker, even as standard. However I have since modded it; Courtney lightened flywheel, Viper induction, increased fuel pressure, Powerflow dual exit exhaust, reckon it might be about 220bhp now, and it eats Scooby's and M3's for dinner.

Had some problems though. It drinks a fair bit of oil. Vauxhall say that up to a litre every thousand is normal, anyone know for definite? Front drop link bushes had to be replaced at 20 thousand, new intercooler, and that's it so far... going soon to be replaced by a Zafira GSi Turbo.

28th Jan 2004, 07:40

The standard 2.5 V6 in the Vectra SRi and CDX has 170bhp. The 2.5 V6 engine in the GSi was modified by MSD to give 195bhp. MSD made changes to the engine management system on the GSi and gave it different cams, that's why it's more powerful.

15th May 2009, 17:11

Well I think the 2.6 V6 GSi is a OK car, but as for keeping up with Scoobys, who are you joking. If you give an opinion, make it a right one. Maybe non-turbo Subaru Sports, but if you put any of the Vectra models up against a proper Scooby i.e a STi3, a Vectra wouldn't stand a chance. 0-60 GSi 7.7, 0-60 Scooby under 5; come on lads, get your facts right.

17th Jul 2013, 14:26

I completely agree, having owned a 1998 standard Impreza Turbo estate, and now having a 2.6 manual Vectra, it's clear the Subaru would completely toast it. The Vectra is not much better on fuel, but there is something good about it.

2001 Vauxhall Vectra Club 1.6 16v from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Comfortable, but bland and unreliable

Recurring intermittent fault: engine "jerks", slowing down before shooting forward again. Will sometimes stall (regardless of speed) when clutch is dipped to change gear e.g. from 4th to 3rd.

General Comments:

Comfortable car, but reliability not so good.

Bought through Network Q about 3 months ago. Local dealer have been helpful, taking car in 3 times, always give me a courtesy car, but seemingly unable to fix problem.

Several components replaced, but problem always returns. Had to be towed away by the AA last time!

Roomy and a good motorway cruiser, but if problem not cured soon we will have to part company!

My old Astra ran faultlessly for 4 years so am disappointed with Vauxhall quality this time around.

Review Date: 1st October, 2003

2001 Vauxhall Vectra CD 2.2 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Everybody seems to want to be like Jeremy Clarkson, as this is a very under-estimated car

I've had this car since new, and, touch wood, nothing has ever gone wrong with it. For me, the reliability has been spot on.

When I ordered it, I had a few problems with the dealer. It was 2 weeks later arriving than they said it would be, it wasn't sparkling clean either. They also forgot to fit TrafficMaster, which is a dealer-fit item.

General Comments:

There are a lot of bad reviews about the Vectra. There have been three Vectras owned in my family, and none of them have EVER broken down. I know many other people with Vectras, and they love them. My mum has just ordered the new shape - should be here in 4 weeks.

I personally think that too many people are Jeremy Clarkson wannabes, and knock the Vectra down before giving it a chance, just because it's not the most stylish of cars. I speak from experience. Has Jeremy Clarkson ever owned one?

I have a 2.2 CD. Smart looking car, but not the most stylish... that's opinion though.

The engine is sweet, extremely smooth and reliable. Performance is untouchable. There is so much power, always ready when you need it.

The ride is pretty smooth, especially on motorways. Can be a little choppy on the rougher of surfaces mind.

Handling is quite for a car of this size, although with the 2.2 engine, there is a little torque steer, even with traction control engaged.

Build quality seems to be good. Paintwork seems to be strong. Very few scratches or chips, despite a lot of motorway driving.

Overall, this is a superb car, with good reliability. It is just let down by bad unreliable dealerships.

Review Date: 4th August, 2003

3rd Jan 2004, 05:10

An Extremely Well written review, that almost don't see, such a excellent reading in this survey site, specially about this car.

17th Mar 2005, 13:01

Guys... I could not agree more with all of your reviews/ comments. Vauxhall build great cars, I just had to add my penny's worth.

I have a Cavalier, and although it not as fresh looking as it once was, it has yet to fail us, we bought it back in 1998, with 51,000 on the clock it now reads... 107,000.

I have recently put a full set of tyres on it, so in other words it, we are not going to part company just yet.

Our experiences with Vauxhall, has led us to purchase a Zafira... that was only two weeks ago on the 05/03/2005. We have not even done 500 miles in it yet. We did want a Zafira back in 1999, when they first appeared, but our finance's would not stretch that far, until now that is.

All the Zafira reviews regarding the 1600cc engine say... 'it's not this' 'it's not that' 'it could have been this' but believe me it is FANTASTIC. I have not known of an engine to spin so sweetly and yet pull so well, it is hardly audible at any speed. The ride quality, well, where do I start. It's no wonder that so many people have bought the Zafira, it is a great car, and the 'flex 7' seats, are a stroke of genius. I could go on, but I think you get my drift.

We have owned a few different makes of cars since buying the 'Cavalier' a Renault Scenic... COMPLETE and utter JUNK, which actually fell apart. And a Chrysler PT Cruiser the latter was in fact traded in for the Zafira.

The Renault Scenic, I'll say no more, but the PT Cruiser although a reliable car, it was not without it's faults too, but was a money pit.

Everything about the car involved BIG money, it cost a FORTUNE to run, servicing costs, insurance, and to fuel the thing... was a wallet stripping experience.

All of these issue's took their toll, and as for spare parts, you cannot just pop down to Halfords... they DO NOT stock anything for Chrylser's.

NB: The Zafira does NOT have a drink problem... like a good whiskey, JUST SIP IT!!

Regards, Andy.