2002 Volkswagen Beetle Reviews - Page 4 of 10

2002 Volkswagen Beetle GLS turbo from North America

Engine and transmission turbo Automatic
Previous carVolkswagen Jetta

Summary:

Not worth the cute looks

The armrest completely fell apart.

The lock button for the driver door has popped out, and the foot rest on the driver's side just fell off.

General Comments:

I think that VW service department will just about accuse you of anything, so that they don't have to take responsibility. It's awful; I hate going there, and heaven forbid that I would fix all the cosmetic problems; they want 500 and up for the smallest of things!

Review Date: 22nd August, 2007

2002 Volkswagen Beetle GLS 1.8 turbo from North America

Engine and transmission 1.8 turbo Automatic
Previous carMercedes-Benz C-Class

Summary:

Interesting car with little subtle features

High pitching noise when the engine started. summer weather in California, so it's not cold. The noise sounds like bad belt, and it last for 40-90 seconds.

I checked the belt, it's not a loose belt.

I am not familiar with VW's Turbo, could it be a normal turbo's high rev?

General Comments:

Car also have a strong crayon smell. One of the owner said there are insulation material made with wax-like.

Right underneath of the firewall. Don't know what it look like yet, but I wil check it out this weekend.

Other than that, it's a nice car -- I bought it for my daughter, and she love it.

Review Date: 20th August, 2007

30th Aug 2007, 12:39

My Mercedes Benz 190E has the same interior crayon smell that this beetle seems to have... Have you had the chance to check if the insulation material is the source of the odor? I'd be very interested to know your findings. Thanks. Rob.

20th Aug 2009, 21:24

The high pitched noise that stops after 40 - 90 seconds is probably the Secondary Air Pump in the early stage of failure. I had the same problem. I disconnected it. It's not really necessary. No more noise, but I have to put up with the check engine light now.

2002 Volkswagen Beetle GLS 2.0 from North America

Previous carToyota RAV4

Summary:

Happy Beetle, but several little problems

Odometer had to be replaced within the first week.

Back cup-holder always falls off.

Strong crayon smell that everyone notices.

General Comments:

Does anyone else here live in a hot climate?

I have a 2002 New Beetle, and all my friends tease me about the crayon smell in my car. I thought it was karmic payback haunting me since I melted a box of crayons in my mom’s car when I was two years old, but I’m so glad, bittersweet as it is, to not be alone with this!

I live in Phoenix, AZ and was thinking that maybe this smell is a product of being in such a hot area - leaving the car parked out in the sun where it’s 120 degrees might make various plastics or waxes or whatever start smelling weird… Maybe they don’t account for that when they design these in a place with cooler weather like Germany?

I haven’t been able to get rid of the smell – everything I’ve tried (Febreze, car fresheners, Bounce, etc.) is just the two smells mixed together, ugh. Even leaving the windows down all the time doesn’t fix it.

I still love my car though!

Review Date: 20th June, 2007

21st Jun 2007, 09:26

All "new" volkswagens have that crayon smell. Hot climate or not. I am a car salesman in northeast ohio and every VW 1998 and newer has that smell inside. I believe it is from the rubber coating they put on the trim pieces, like the inside door handles and vents etc.

16th Nov 2009, 03:03

Actually it's the plastic backing on the carpet that makes them sell like crayons. Volkswagen has a replacement carpet that you can buy that's suppose to eliminate the smell.

2002 Volkswagen Beetle from North America

Engine and transmission Manual
Previous carVolkswagen Beetle

Summary:

Sad - cause I really could have loved this car... get it together VW

Engine blew at 3 years 36,000 miles - exactly two weeks after I bought it from the original owner. The dealer said, and I quote, 'I can't tell you what happened because there's a 1 liter soda bottle's worth of shrapnel inside what remains of the engine...' They didn't seem concerned, or surprised.

It was all pretty unexpected. I'm picky and would have bolted if I'd suspected anything was wrong with it, but when I test drove it it ran great - was in great condition - had consistent service records, and had low mileage. Should have been a no-brainer. The day before the engine blew I was sitting at a gas station with my boyfriend and heard a new noise, one that I know wasn't there the day before, a slight knocking. I thought I was being paranoid and that it must be bad gas... but I distinctly remember thinking that, though I'd never heard a rod knock, that sure sounded like one. On the freeway in the fast lane at 10PM the following evening that was confirmed... luckily I was able to coast to the shoulder.

General Comments:

Let me just first say that I have really enjoyed the way the car has driven (when it has), it's comfortable and fun - and let's be honest - they're adorable and that's part of the allure.

But seriously. I have never spent this much time at a dealership/repair shop and this is the newest and lowest mileage car I've ever owned. I'm on a first name basis with the service schedulers and I've been there enough that I'm going to qualify for free service loaners in the next couple of months - that's scary. Still, so far I've gotten away pretty easy I think, considering I own a Beetle: I've replaced the same headlight three times, a taillight more than once though I lost track of exactly how many times, the engine, and judging by the creak in the front end there's something expensive brewing there as well. I'm running away before it bursts into flames.

Sad - cause I really could have loved this car... get it together VW.

Review Date: 8th May, 2007