2000 Volkswagen Golf E 1.4 from UK and Ireland
Good basic design, spoiled by poor build quality
Various rattles that the dealer has been unable to fix.
The Golf scores on interior design and comfort. I have found no other car at this price which comes close. The blue dials are a neat feature, and the seats are excellent.
The 1.4 is OK in town, but can get noisy at motorway speeds due to the low gearing. Fuel economy is pretty good though, at 40mpg.
The ride seems over firm in town, yet the handling is nowhere near as good as some cars I have driven (Ford Focus, Subary Impreza).
A strange feature is that the lights have a very short range - you have to guess where the next corner is at night, even with the lights set to maximum height.
The main flaw is the build quality. After only 8000 miles, the dashboard is an orchestra of rattles and the doors creak on corners. The gear change is very stiff and has a lot of play. I don't know how this car will fare long term. VW need to improve their manufacturing quality if they are to compete with Japanese alternatives.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Don't Know
Review Date: 7th August, 2001
18th Sep 2002, 08:52
1At 18,000 miles / 2 years:
- Engine uses excessive oil, but according to the manual this is OK so long as consumption is less that 1l / 1000 miles. As my dealer put it it, "VW say this to cover themselves".
- Gear change is very awkward and the car sometimes refuses to go into 2nd. The dealer has greased/adjusted the linkage, but this does not help.
- Rear washer pipe burst causing boot lock to rust (repaired under warranty)
- Rear brake discs have rusted causing brake judder (not covered by warranty).
- Front brakes squeal when not breaking (dealer greased and cleaned breaks, but this makes no difference - and I had to pay for it).
From what I can make out, my VW dealer knows all these problems well. It's a pity they don't tell you this before you buy.
19th May 2003, 03:02
I have a Golf IV Tdi (South Africa). Initially I was very excited about the car, but after a very short time I became one of the many people on this site disillusioned by the VW 'quality'...man, can this car rattle and squeak. I thought Opels were bad. I won't buy a VW product in a hurry again and am thinking of trading the Golf in after only 6 months of ownership... what a loss!