1999 Volkswagen Jetta from North America
Don't buy a Volkswagon
I have had so many problems with my 99 Jetta ever since the day I bought it.
1. The day after I bought it, I was driving at night across the Golden Gate Bridge when a fuse blew and all the lights went out in the car. I managed to make it to my destination, but the next day the dealer said they couldn't get me an appointment until later in the week. I called the VW headquarters and complained and they got me an appointment right away after that.
2. A couple of months later, the passenger side window fell into the door. They said it was a "typical VW thing" and fixed it. It happened again one more time until they recalled it to fix it for good.
3. The grease from the car doors leaks all over my car when it is hot outside.
4. The VW circles in the hubcaps keep coming off and I have to get replacements.
5. The floor mats clips broke or got lost and the rugs go all over the place.
6. About a year and a half later, the battery needed replacing.
7. Three years later, the pipes that drain water clogged and when it rained, I had about 5 inches of water in my car on the front and backseat floor. It cost me about $300 to get it unclogged.
8. The car burns down on oil faster than it is suppose to get oil changes. The oil light comes on after all the oil burns out, which is too late to save the engine from being ruined. I have to check it all the time.
9. The week after I made my final payment on the car, which is 5 years later, the car alarm goes off in the middle of the night and we can't get it to stop! I am currently waiting to hear back what is wrong with it (and $125 just to check it / assess it).
10. The fabric seat catches so much lint and cat hair that it is impossible to remove.
11. The drink holder broke after 3 years.
12. The back seat ash try won't stay closed. Never has.
Overall, I feel that same way as the other people: Don't buy a VW!!
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? No
Review Date: 9th August, 2004
23rd Aug 2004, 05:53
I am surprised that others are having the same problems with their Jetta as well. I too made the mistake of buying a Jetta 2002. It has been in the shop more times than I can count, for: Loose headlights, clogged hose (causing my car to flood). The flooding of my car left a permanent stench in the interior, even though they replaced the carpets. The air vents popped off, a spring mysteriously came rolling from underneath the seat, and the latch broke on the middle compartment. Oh, and there's more...part of the molding on my sunroof fell off, and my passenger side AND driver side window fell into the door as I was going down the highway. The first time a window fell into the door, it was the middle of winter in the midwest, and I had to drive 40 minutes to work with no window for almost a week. I cannot wait to get rid of this piece of crap!