1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 2.0L from North America
Don't waste your time and money with a Jetta
Engine has slow oil leak: this is never acknowledged by the dealership, but it can be catastrophic on a small engine and high RPM car like this one. I have only avoided disaster because I pay close attention.
Transmission does not engage or is rough: This has happened twice and both times dealership confirms that this is a sealed transmission (in other words, it should not normally require frequent change and requires VW tools to do so anyway) Even though the powertrain is under warranty, they have charged me over $127 for adding to the transmission fluid (note this is more than doing a complete trans fluid flush on most cars!!)
Malfunctioning oxygen sensor: had to request for cash back since the dealership "overlooked" the fact that it was already a recall.
Battery: its already on its 3rd one.
- "goo" below both front door edges. this is some very thick lubricant that obviously does not belong there unless you enjoy paying for dry cleaning and doing laundry.
- Also, front cup holder stays jammed closed, so solution is to leave it open at all times: not convenient.
- carpets don't stay in place, the design to hold them in place is ridiculous.
- side mirror adjustment sticks out too much, and broke in the first month of ownership.
- glove box hinge broke easily due to bad design.
- gas mileage is high for a small car.
It has that cute car look, but don't be fooled, this is just a cheaply made car. Owners like me are regretting that we gave them a second chance.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? No
Review Date: 22nd October, 2003
9th Aug 2004, 09:06
I wholeheartedly agree. My cup holder is jammed and now broken completely, and the glove box broke a year after buying the car. The window also fell into the door which was a recall. The oxygen sensor was replaced, another recall, yet when I took it back yesterday, the computer shows it is malfunctioning again. The check engine light has been on since a week after I got the car and after numerous trips to the dealer, I've decided to stop to stop adding to this moneypit.