Trouble, but Fun - a difficult balance
My ownership of this vehicle has been a litany of problems. Through research I have found that the issues I have experienced over the past two years are sadly common.
1) May 2002 -While driving to the Kentucky Derby the radio died - fuse fault that required a new radio.
2) September 2002 -After the radio was replaced it died again at the beach. During the same week the passenger window fell inside the door. Luckily the battery died due to something involving the radio problem, after which the radio miraculously worked again.
3) July 2003 - a strange thumping is emanating from the right front tire during deceleration, but the dealer can't replicate the problem. The coating on the interior door handles is peeling, and the dealer advises this is common. Handles are replaced.
4) November 2003 - Radio dies again and now the chrome ring around the gear shift knob is peeling. Dealer fixes the radio and states a fuse was not seated properly, but I am not sure that I believe them. During this trip the ignition coil was replace as per the national recall, and service personnel detected an ABS fault. ABS parts and shifter knob are on order.
5) Still November 2003 - Large spring came loose from beneath the driver's seat.
I cannot track all of the problems I have had, but on each occasion that the radio fails I suffer a dead battery if the car is not driven every 10-12 hours. The vehicle has failed to start on numerous occasions for no apparent reason. I wait a few minutes and try again and miraculously it works.
I think this list covers it. I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA vehicle defect office and contacted VW customer care. I am currently investigating the NC lemon laws. I have a friend in GA who suffered repeated activation of an engine fault light (9 times in 3 days) who was able to have his vehicle declared a lemon.
I love the car because it drives like a dream. I am a police officer and drive fast all the time and this little car is simply fun to drive. The problem is just that - the problems.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Don't Know
Review Date: 29th November, 2003