1995 Volkswagen Passat Reviews - Page 4 of 8

Model year1995
Year of manufacture1994
Engine and transmission 2.8L VR6 Manual
Previous carEagle Talon

Summary:

One big lemon, pass on the passat.

Electrical fires galore!! Blown fog lights, cruise control, air conditioning, rear window motors, side marker lights, remote trunk release, frequent electrical shorts- many not fixable. The dash needs to be smacked in some spots to illuminate it. The stereo only works about 25% of the time (after-market stereo since the original caught fire). Leaks oil and coolant (both need to be checked daily). Not a walk in the park.

General Comments:

Do not, buy a Passat if you are looking for a reliable car. It is FAR from it. In fact, being rich would help because it will need repairing monthly and its repairs are quite costly. Oil changes alone run over $30.

Review Date: 6th October, 2005

6th Oct 2005, 14:34

I've noticed a lot of reviews or comments on this website about the Passat, and other Volkswagen's, are not very good ones. But they almost always come from the USA. I'm in the UK, and I can tell you, the Volkswagen's here (and elsewhere in the world) are very reliable. I've had two Passat's, a 90' 1.8, and 91' 2.0. Both never let me down, even after 150,000 miles and 15 years old. No problems at all. Also I know people with more modern Volkswagen's, and they have no problem. What I'm asking is why do all the lemon Volkswagen's seem to be in the USA only?

7th Oct 2005, 17:51

I believe it's because most VWs sold here in the US are made in Brazil or Mexico rather than Germany.

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX 2.8 from North America

Model year1995
Distance when acquired72000 miles
Most recent distance112000 miles

Summary:

Good car, but too many problems

1.Overheating - replaced housing

2.Replaced front brake rotors

3.Replaced front axles

4.Replaced fuel pump

5.Replaced water pump

6.replaced front bearings. front left wheel hub and right rear calipers.

7. Front left power windows are gone and trans is leaking and don't have money to fix it so I just fill it up.

General Comments:

Good car to drive when theres no problem with it. Has never left me on the highway, but as it gets old more problems arise yet a good car.

Review Date: 7th January, 2005

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 from North America

First year of ownership1995
Engine and transmission V6 Automatic
Previous carFord Taurus

Summary:

I wouldn not purchase another volkswagen

We had all regular maintenance performed on car. The transmission needed replacement in 2000. Costof replacement was $5,000. Only dealer can work on car. Parts are very expensive and hard to get. Fuel Injection system needed now.

General Comments:

Cloth interior roof drooping at 75,000 miles. Door handles don't work all the time.

Review Date: 8th March, 2004

26th Aug 2004, 14:00

What more can I say, I have spent over $5000 in repairs in the 4 years that I have had this car. I will never buy another Volkswagen.

27th Sep 2004, 18:19

Do I miss my VW Passat 1995 GLX? Yea right :) I do not miss that car. Even though when I first got it was a great car.. supposedly only had 41k miles on it, but I found out later after the transmission blew it had 141K miles on it when I bought and that the trannie blew at 205K...that car cost me nothing, but heart ache. It had numerous problems. It turned out I needed another trannie to be put in after the jerks put the wrong fluid in to begin with... The car looks nice, but looks can be decieving. I spent over 5k on that car in the eight years I had it. I just feel sorry for whoever has it now. I got 1k for it when I traded it in... and now who knows maybe it is in a junk yard somewhere. I would never ever get another VW again. Jules.

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX VR6 from North America