Well first off let me just clarify that I knew the car needed work when I bought it, and that the cost of ownership would be more expensive with my VW than with, oh say, a Honda. Also that the car has never failed to start. But this is my list of faults.
1) The front drive axles and CV boots needed replacing at 123K.
2) The exhaust pipes were rusted through at 123K.
3) The left front inner and outer tire-rods went bad very suddenly around 150K.
4) Half the fuse box fried and needs replacing currently. This left the headlights, blinkers, windshield wipers, horn, and AC blower motor useless.
5) The ABS will kick on needlessly in regular non-panic stops.
6) From time to time (normally when it's cold) the driver side window will go up when I push down, and go down when I pull up.
7) The CD changer randomly will not work and read *CD ERROR*. Sometimes in the middle of a song on a brand new CD.
8) When it gets below 40 degrees, it's almost impossible to get the car into 1st. Even after letting it warm up for 20 or so minutes.
9) The defroster SUCKS BIG TIME!
10) The leather is cracked and ripped on every seat in the car, along with the shifter.
11) The paint seems thin and fairly easy to scratch.
12) Oh yeah, and my driver side heated seat never worked. It's irritating to have your passengers 'ooo-ing and aahh-ing' in the seat next to you while you're frozen stiff.