2007 Volkswagen Passat 2.0 turbo petrol from North America

Well this one is utter rubbish. One guy with a 2014 Passat near me says the same of his

The car started having fuel problems at 81k, with frequent engine stops, even when on the freeway. The car is dangerous to drive. When the temperature is less than 5C, the car is fine. Otherwise the engine can cut out at any time (usually in a junction or center lane of the freeway).

It's had 4 new high pressure fuel pumps and 2 new low pressure fuel pumps, 1 new camshaft, new fuel pressure regulator, and all engine sensors had to be changed, new engine wiring loom, new relays for something, new key and ignition locks, and the steering column produces numerous faults. The list is endless and mostly not written here.

General Comments:

The car has spent 4 months out of the last 12 in service and is still not fixed. Both my local dealers have now declared "we can't fix this car".

So, I am now going to scrap a beautiful looking car in great physical condition because I don't trust the dealers not to sell it on unfixed and have it kill someone.

Apart from this huge issue, generally the car has proved to be very unreliable, with poor build quality and numerous stupid design faults (such as the water pouring into the trunk when you open it).

In short the car is over engineered junk.

Review Date: 24th September, 2015

25th Sep 2015, 15:01

Amazing, all the bad reviews for VWs on this site seem to come from the USA. Here in the UK they are known to be reliable cars, despite the recent scandal regarding emissions. I had 2 Passats back in the day (90s models); all were bullet proof reliable and did me over 200,000 miles without serious issue. I dunno, maybe VW really has been cost cutting across the entire model range in the last 15 years or so. But then over here in the UK, the 2000 onward Passat models also have a good reliability record, so who knows, maybe you just got unlucky? Or maybe they are built elsewhere other than Germany for the USA market, in fact I think they are built in Brazil for the USA market, but I could be wrong. But surely they still have quality control in this day and age?

2007 Volkswagen Passat 1.6 FSI from Egypt

Would go for Mercedes or BMW

- Steering box rack and pinion problem at 62,000 km (agent didn't commit the problem, until after the car went out of its warranty period) (Cost 12000 EGP).

- Starter motor damage at 90,000 km (cost 3000 EGP).

- Sun roof unintentional opening.

- EGR solenoid valve at 95,000 km (cost 3000 EGP).

- Electronic hand brake problem at 70,000 km (cost 175 EGP).

- Had an accident with the car in the first year,

and the authorized agent in Egypt fixed it with non original accessories.

- Egyptian agent is very BAD.

- German manufacturer's CS is very bad.

General Comments:

The car is very comfortable from inside, however the steering box problem and tough suspension causes unsatisfactory feeling with the purchase.

Review Date: 14th November, 2012

2007 Volkswagen Passat Sport 2.0 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

An example of how VW have gone downhill

New gearbox required, injectors failed, CV joint failed, dodgy electronic handbrake.

Driver seat collapsing (and I'm a lightweight!)

General Comments:

Wow, VW really don't want your return custom. Poorly built rubbish and ropey dealers. Premium pricing for a 3rd rate product.

Really, save your money and go for Ford/Vauxhall/FIAT; anything else other than this excuse for a car!

Review Date: 12th May, 2011

2007 Volkswagen Passat 2.0 turbo from North America

VW isn't what it used to be...pity

Camshaft had to be replaced.

Fuel pump had to be replaced.

Faulty battery.

Already rusting.

Suspension creaks.

Driver side heated seat "half" works (only bottom gets heated up).

General Comments:

This was a replacement for a previously stolen 2000 Passat 1.8T. That car was spectacular, so we decided on buying a newer Passat with a 2.0T engine. Within the first week of owning it, it was already in the dealer twice for the fuel pump and camshaft to both be replaced. Because the car had only 100.000 km on it, it got me seriously worried about the problems I may encounter with this vehicle. When I drive it, the suspension constantly creaks and groans, and I feel as if it may need to be replaced within a couple years. I also found rust underneath the hood, which completely baffled me.

On the inside, the car is nice. It rides well, even if the seats aren't terribly comfortable. It has great quality of materials, and a good sound system as well. The trip computer and heated seats come in handy too. The speed sensitive steering, push button start, and tiptronic are nice features to have, that you may not find in all models of Camrys and Accords.

I don't know how bad the previous owner treated this car, but I sure hope it won't give me any more major problems over the course of time which I'll own it.

Review Date: 31st October, 2010

5th Apr 2013, 05:42

I have a nasty suspicion the previous owner may have taken it through salt water or sand, which may account for the unusual rust and squeaky underside. Or it was used in winter on salted roads.