1986 Volvo 740 Reviews - Page 7 of 8

Most recent year of ownership1986
Most recent distance191000 miles
Previous carVolkswagen GTI

Stall on cold weather?

Engine turns, but won't start (on cold?)

Is it Fuel problem? Electrical problem? PLEASE HELP ME!

General Comments:

Should be a very strong and reliable car, and it was. Very comfortable.

Review Date: 7th February, 2002

16th Nov 2004, 17:54

I am having the same problem with my 1986 Volvo 740GLE. We thought it might be the wiring harness (very worn), but we installed a new one and it didn't help. If you find out anything please post.

23rd Nov 2011, 15:26

Check the temp sensor and the other sensors, fly wheel etc... Oxide in the couplings to the sensors can make the car difficult to start, and is the reason behind lots of annoying problems.

1986 Volvo 740 GLT from North America

Most recent year of ownership2002
Previous carFord Taurus

Summary:

A rocket ship with all the creature comforts of a ocean liner!

Two months after buying the car, the transmission gave out. Coolant had leaked into the cooler lines and had eaten away at the friction seals. After replacing two Taurus transmissions, I thought I was in the clear buying a Volvo. I guess I was wrong.

Lots of lenses had to be replaced, both front lenses were broken (which seems to be on all 740's). Also the driver's side turn signal.

Lots of interior parts were broken or missing, but after a few visits to a local wrecker I was able to get them fairly cheap.

The lumbar support is broken on the driver's side, making it uncomfortable at times, but the passenger side works and is very comfortable to ride in.

The heated seats don't work for unknown reasons as well.

General Comments:

The car is amazing and has never been beat on the street (except by a 911 turbo).

People seem baffled as to why they are being beat out by a Volvo sedan.

Handling seems to be a bit sloppy at times, but other times is great. Ride seems to be a problem, and can be rough at times.

Wind noise on the highway is unacceptable for such an expensive car.

Review Date: 23rd January, 2002

20th Dec 2003, 01:04

I have had a 1986 740 GLE (non-turbo) for a decade, having bought it from the first owner. She took care of it like an airplane, and I continued that tradition. The car is rock solid, even at 100 mph. The seats are among the most comfortable in the industry, including the 2003 Mercedes E series. For 115 HP the car has amazing acceleration, although it is not exactly a rocket ship. I had to replace the headliner with a synthetic material headliner that continues to look brand new. I use Goodyear Aquatred III tires. With 100,000 miles on the car and 5,000 miles per year, I think this car may outlast ME! I am surprised at the specific problems mentioned in the review. So far, so good. I ripped out the audio system and replaced it with an in-dash Sony FM/CD four channel unit and replaced the four Volvo speakers with MB Quart units. I could buy a new car, but I just can't figure out why I would want to do that!

1986 Volvo 740 GLE 2.3 Liter 4 cylinder from North America

Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 2.3 Liter 4 cylinder Automatic
Previous carPontiac Grand Am

Summary:

A durable, reliable tank

Water leaks on the driver's side floor.

Headliner falling.

Power windows and electrics have glitches.

Rotors/brakes wear fast.

Cabin is noisy.

General Comments:

This car rocks, it is a solidly built tank and if you take care of it, it will reward you with reliable service.

All of the amenities are nice, many driving comforts.

Could use a little more pep when accelerating, but over ride is nice and smooth.

Review Date: 20th December, 2001

30th Oct 2003, 15:01

I agree with the comments. have had one since 86.

6th Mar 2010, 08:04

I bought one for 200 dollars. Put a new alternator in it and drove away. I have had no problems with it yet. And yes, it does remind me of a small happy tank.

1986 Volvo 740 GLE 2.3 litre from North America

First year of ownership1986
Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 2.3 litre Manual
Previous carBMW 3 Series

Summary:

Solid, dependable car that may last forever

Rebuilt the overdrive after ~ 300000 km.

Problems with starting (excessive cranking) still unresolved.

Clunking sound in the front end (since new) which is worse in cold weather.

General Comments:

Still running original engine, transmission and clutch. Engine burns no oil and may outlast the body, although the body has minimal rust.

This is not a very exciting car, but has served us well since new and still runs and looks great.

Review Date: 16th December, 2001

10th Dec 2008, 18:01

Update to my original post. The car is now at 471K km and still going strong despite being taken over by our teen-aged daughter. Burns/uses no oil and still on the original clutch. My daughter, who wasn't too keen on the old brick originally, is now also singing the praises of our old brick and looking forward to rolling over the 500K mark. These are great cars for teens, square, slow and safe.