1988 Volvo 740 GLE 2.3 turbo gasoline from North America
One of the best turbocharged station wagons you can own
Only things that have gone wrong are the following:
- Headliner sagging (reupholstered for around $50 in one weekend).
- Intake rubber coupler blew off a few times (fixed with new clamp).
- Idles a little high.
- Likes to fishtail (solved with 2 cinder blocks near each wheel).
- Sunroof leaked & stopped working (sealed with caulk until I can replace).
- Hatch supports stopped working.
- Dinger removed (wouldn't stop ringing while driving).
This car is a blast to drive. Bought for $600 and did the usual replacements (fuel, oil, and air filter, oil change, etc.) and only have about $150 into it. For the $750 I spent total, this was a fantastic deal for this wagon.
The engine runs strong and needs little maintenance, and with the turbo you'll have a lot of fun. Putting out around 165 HP stock, this wagon takes off pretty quick for being an '88. Handles like a dream, and gets decent fuel economy for its age. If you like station wagons or are a Volvo fanatic, this is one wagon you should definitely consider.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 13th November, 2014