1990 Volvo 740 Reviews - Page 13 of 14

First year of ownership1998
Engine and transmission 2.4 I4 16v Automatic
Most recent distance252000 miles
Previous carVolvo 740

Summary:

If you want to purchase a car and keep it for many years, buy a Volvo!

Power window motor failed.

Sun roof seal replaced.

Control arms replaced.

Heated seats no longer hot.

Engine seals replaced.

General Comments:

Very durable and reliable. Comfortable on long strips. My last Volvo 740 saved my life when I was hit head on my a car going 95 mph. Can't beat that. With proper maintenance they will run forever. The car is very heavy and the in-line four banger is often underpowered with the air conditioning compressor running. People sell their Volvo's because they grow tired of them and what something new; not because they need to mechanically. This model Volvo has been a joy to own and I will only sell it for a Volvo wagon (I need more room!).

Review Date: 19th July, 2002

1990 Volvo 740 Turbo from North America

Most recent distance120000 miles
Previous carVolvo 240

Summary:

Performance, comfort, safety for under $5000

Wiring problem ($200)

Had to have air mass meter replaced.

General Comments:

First I will let you know, I am Volvo biased and this in my fifth one (3 240's & 2 740's). The car has ample power for useful things like pulling out on ramps and losing granny at the light. It also performs well on the highway although it is a bit loud at cruising speeds. The handling is crisp and sure-footed with good tires.

The interior is very comfortable and I love the wide leather seats. Beware coffee drinkers, there are no cup holders as the stain on my floor (and my favorite shirt) can attest to.

I have many people comment on how nice the car looks who are astonished when I tell them it is 12 years old. I would rather drive this car (purchased for $4500) than the vast majority of newer cars I have had the misfortune of either driving or riding in.

Finding a good Volvo mechanic in your area and avoiding dealerships will save you a lot of money and hassles.

Review Date: 13th July, 2002

3rd Sep 2002, 16:25

Good review here. I own a 1989 Volvo 740 Turbo wagon and agree with everything you had to say, except for the part about crisp handling. Mine rides very squishy and soft, especially for a European car and it doesn't handle well in emergency situations. I found that out the hard way when coming home from work one evening. I almost lost control when I took a corner too fast on a country road and ended up fishtailing all over the road. A VERY scary experience! But I suppose it handles better than that Taurus wagon I once test drove.

1990 Volvo 740 B23 turbo Intercooler from North America

Engine and transmission B23 turbo Intercooler Automatic
Previous carVolvo 242

Summary:

Great people and gear mover with sports car engineering!

The air conditioning doesn't work. I bought the car advertised with air conditioning, but I bought it in the winter and couldn't test it.

The engine/transmission leaks some oil.

Gas mileage is not as good as I would like at approximately 15 miles per gallon.

General Comments:

I love the turbo and the handling of the vehicle. My mileage would probably improve if I stayed out of turbo boost, but it's tough when all of your previous vehicles were putt putts.

Comfortable leather seats and heated.

The sunroof works fine with no leaks.

I appreciate the level of engineering of Volvo.

Review Date: 2nd May, 2002

1990 Volvo 740 Estate 2.3 turbo intercooler from Netherlands

Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 2.3 turbo intercooler Automatic
Distance when acquired202000 kilometres
Previous carNissan Primera

Summary:

Which other car can do 0-100 km/h in 7.8 sec with 6 persons and has a turning circle of 9.9 m?

It had a broken turbo when I bought it, my dealer didn't tell us, but after a short period we noticed that it didn't give the engine the power it should.

The last part of my exhaust broke after 6 months.

General Comments:

It really really fast now with the new turbo.

We have 4 children so we installed a 2nd bench in the boot. It is folded down if we do not need it so our boot is more flexible compared with a MPV.

Review Date: 19th August, 2001

4th Apr 2008, 05:26

Yes unbelievable as the Volvo seats 5 only and with such a load mine sure would not do such times and its putting out 113.6 at the rear wheels in other words tweaked up.