1990 Volvo 740 Reviews

First year of ownership2012
Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 2.3L turbo intercooler Manual
Previous carSsangYong Musso

Summary:

Very reliable, smooth power, all luxuries, and a great value used car under $5000. Driving pleasure

I have owned the car less than 1 year. Nothing has gone wrong in my time.

Previous owner had a new radiator replacement and a new roof lining.

Everything this car has from the factory still works well.

General Comments:

I bought this car in 2012 from a senior couple who had owned it originally since 1991. The car has a brilliant service record, and for a car of 22 years of age, everything from the factory still works well.

In 1990 this car was $72000 AUD, and for a car of that price, it did have clunky plastic interior, however these cars were extremely well built, and were engineered to last.

These old Volvos certainly outlive all other European and Japanese cars of that era.

Heated seats, electric antenna, power windows, A/C + climate control, AM/FM cassette stereo. All original, and all still working fine.

Very comfortable for 4 adults with everything you need (except cup holders).

Powerful 4 cylinder turbo engine does the job nicely. Smooth and reasonable efficient.

Handling is a bit sloppy and saggy, but this could be due to original 22 year old suspension, springs, etc.

Like all older used cars, some have good lives and some have bad. Some models are great and others are a dud.

I was lucky when I found my 740 Turbo; it's a good example of a perfect kept car.

With general maintenance, there is nothing unusual that goes wrong with these cars. Most forums on the Internet or car clubs have ironed out and found easy or upgrade fixes for common faults.

Anyone with basic mechanical skills (or willing to learn) can do most service tasks on this model.

There is something Volvo drivers and enthusiasts get from driving a Volvo; even the older beat up models still bring joy to the driver. A solid car that's for the driver.

Review Date: 24th October, 2012

26th Dec 2012, 07:43

Do you know where or what dealer I can purchase a 740 turbo from that has a good record?

1990 Volvo 740 GL 2.3L gas from North America

Year of manufacture1990
First year of ownership2011
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 2.3L gas Automatic
Previous carNissan Pathfinder

Summary:

Reliable, comfy 4 door tractor car

Bought the car as a commuter - headliner was replaced, no accidents, one owner - fluids almost over-maintained, clean vehicle - not perfect, but a solid commuter.

Motor mounts were collapsed (replaced right away), needs torque arm and driveline parts replaced - but simple enough I can maintain myself. Also seats have stitches that need sewing up, rubber parts need a thorough refresh - but at 224k miles it's expected..

General Comments:

It's been reliable and quite simple to own - 11,000 miles later - 25mpg, it's a comfy tractor with 4 doors that just runs.

As happens with these cars - interior plastic was a chemical mistake - cracked. Duct tape until it's replaced.

It's a great car - while not fast - it goes well, parts are reasonable, easy to work on, solid vehicle and tons of space. I know it will start every day, and that matters a lot.

Review Date: 20th August, 2011

1990 Volvo 740 DL Wagon b230f from North America

Year of manufacture1989
Engine and transmission b230f Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Caprice

Summary:

Unwitting time bomb

Various electricals such as taillights, cruise, air, and gas gauge.

Seat leather did not wear well, but heaters were great!

Oxygen sensor bad ($800).

Catalytic converter ($1500).

Rest of exhaust ($600).

Transmission leaked badly ($1800).

Bad radiator ($100).

Unresolved sensor issues.

Headliner was coming down.

Sunroof leaked and jammed.

Idle oscillated.

Car sometimes would not start.

Engine seized.

Alternator went bad.

The hood release cable snapped off because the latches froze - we had to open it with a pry bar and jury rig a latch.

General Comments:

This could have been a great car.

Excellent handling, particularly over the deeply rutted/potholed ice and snow during 2008, when most other cars' suspension was bottoming out; this car on dry or wet pavement provided a reasonably smooth ride with quick accurate handling. The seats could be more comfortable, but heated leather is wonderful when the mercury plummets. It did start well in cold weather, but not in hot.

We loved the utility as well as the comfort - it did what many SUV's or pickups could do, and yet, was comfortable and the kids loved the third seat (a real novelty nowadays).

There was no rust for as old as it was, and the suspension and brakes were awesome. The electrical had problems when my wife bought it but I figured I could fix that... but then in short order the exhaust went to hell, the cat rusted right at the body and the rest came off at 65mph (talk about LOUD!), the transmission started leaking within days, and the engine problems started to make themselves known.

From reading around and rooting around underneath, it appears that the mechanic at the used car lot jimmied up a lot of things, and my wife probably should have been suspicious when they were overly willing to make a deal. It could have been all repaired, or for that matter converted to an American V8, but it was prohibitively expensive to fix so many things when they had gone all at once, and we weren't sure what else would go wrong, plus we had lost our house to the flood here that summer, and had nowhere to work on it.

It was beautiful and it held on for about three weeks after the flood, but when the motor started seizing, we just had to let it go.

It's too bad the parts are so very expensive; this car was built like a tank and was easy to work on.

Review Date: 27th September, 2010

27th Dec 2012, 00:24

The cost of running a 740 varies with the mechanic. I find it cheap to run, but am amazed at what some people have to pay for repairs.

The Volvo car club could direct you to a reliable mechanic, and club knowledge is great.

I am about to sell my 740 turbo, which is good for years to come.

I have done 110000 miles and had few expenses.

I was about to do a 6000 km plus trip when I decided on a V70 turbo 2.5 2004, so my 740 is up to the task with everything working well, and as new or better. I need a wagon to sleep in when my heart gives me issues, or else I would have kept the 1990 740 turbo sedan.