1990 Volvo 740 4 cylinder from North America

In 1992 I purchased my second 740. I drove the car until 2005. I sold the car to a girlfriend, and she drove the car until 2007. The car was sold again to another friend. It is still going, with over 500k on it...

It was a wonderful car. The only issue with it was the fuel pump, which had to be replaced a few times. There were no major engine problems.

A great car, and I would buy another.

Review Date: 19th February, 2009

1990 Volvo 740 TD 2.4 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A sensible choice of cheapy banger - as long as you know a good and cheap mechanic

Drooping headlining, non functioning dash lights, non functioning seat heater, non functioning dash gauges. Electrical faults like this are common on aging 740s.

Some jobs are tricky on this car - the timing belt is a job best left for those who really know what they are doing, as is adjusting the tappets.

General Comments:

Make no mistake, this is not a car you buy for performance and handling prowess. It excels as a straight line motorway cruiser. Big, lardy, squishy seats and suspension, it's very much like a Granada but with better build quality. The body is amazingly good for an 18 year old.

So far the engine - which I have read bad things about - seems to be doing fine. It's the D24 VW 2.4 straight six turbo as used in the LT vans. It hasn't used a drop of oil or water and I think it sounds amazing.

0-60 is nothing spectacular, but the mid range pick up when the turbo kicks in is exceptionally good for such a big heavy car.

It has the 4 speed manual box, with unusually, an overdrive-type button to engage 5th. I find it too low geared in 1st and 2nd.

If only the electrical system was put together with the same care as the rest of the car.

Review Date: 1st November, 2008

5th Jul 2009, 16:43

A quick update. I wrote the original review, the Volvo continues to provide sterling everyday service. its normally around 38-40 mpg depending on how its driven, and aside from routine maintenance such as timing belts and servicing it has required nothing. It sailed through its last MOT.

They can bury me in this one.

8th Jan 2010, 13:11

Another update from the original poster. I still have it and it just sailed through ANOTHER MOT.

Best 300 quid I ever spent, this one!

1990 Volvo 740 GL 2.3L from North America

Summary:

This car is LEGENDARY.

Service light stays on reminding you to change the oil. I think you need to take it to a dealer to turn it off because I couldn't reset it. Eventually I just pulled out the bulb for it on the dashboard.

Minor interior issues, the driver headliner is broken and had to be duct taped.

I had to change the bulbs that light up the HVAC and transmission since purchasing the car.

Replaced the spark plugs myself at 427k pretty easy to do.

General Comments:

I bought this car when the head gasket of my Acura Legend went. It had 420,000km at the time and now has 430,000km and still going strong! It leaks a bit of oil and the mechanic said it was not worth fixing but he was amazing that it still runs.

There is a tiny bit of rust showing the body but pretty descent for an 18 year old car. The car is easy to maintain and there are many resources for it.

The car feels solid and safe and the Volvo seats are unmatched.

Fuel economy is pretty good at 25MPG US or 9.5L/100km city driving.

If they built this car now I would definitely buy another one.

Review Date: 12th September, 2008

1990 Volvo 740 turbo from North America

Summary:

Reliable

Radiator blow out -- replaced with stainless steel-- only major failure.

Tends to use up brake rotors more-- Colorado mountain roads may be a factor.

The turbo boost on the mountain roads is like driving my old Porsche.

Otherwise very low cost car to own.

General Comments:

Had one 40 mph head on (eight years ago) - Volvo dealer was able to fix everything- new hood, bumper and bumper support, fenders, front wheel assemblies, grille, even the radiator was not damaged. You should have seen the drunk's Toyota Celica. There is a reason they call this the tank or the locomotive.

Handles well- wish it was better in the snow. When we get over 12 in snow, I switch to my 4x4.

Thinking of switching to the new C30.

Review Date: 16th July, 2008