1990 Volvo 740 GL 2.0i from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Cheaper than a van or skip. Indestructable!

Exhaust fell off after a week.

Tyre popped at 60mph, I demolished a kerb and a hedge.

Intermittent stalling problem.

General Comments:

Slow old plodder, I bought this when I started a buisness and used it extensively for towing cars.

Hideous blue interior hadnt ever been cleaned and smelt funny, the windscreen leaked, the central locking never worked.

However the boot was huge, and capable of carrying engines, gearboxes, 1 ton of topsoil etc.

Never had to repair it other than the exhaust.

Had tax and test when I bought it for £150, so ultra cheap.

Weighed it in for £120, with nearly 210,000 miles on it- shame as it still started and ran fine.

Review Date: 20th January, 2007

1990 Volvo 740 GL B230F from North America

Summary:

At 16 years old, its barely even broken in

Nothing has gone wrong yet, but I suspect that in a few hundred miles the started and the A/C compressor will need to be replaced. When I start it up it usually takes a few turns and sometimes when I put it into reverse or drive it stalls.

General Comments:

Other than that, I with it had more get up and go, but it is a non turbo, the car weighs 3000 pounds, and to my surprise it actually out accelerates my past 2003 Ford Taurus. The only other thing that peeves me is that when I am slowly accelerating from a cold start there is a little bit of metallic noise during gear changes and from the exhaust, but that goes away. And I can't tell if the previous owner has changed it to r-135 *4 cooling liquid. I bought the car for $2600 from a local owner who had taken very good care of it. The car is 16 years old, so things, especially the plastics in the interior, are starting to get brittle (hazard light button, third taillight cover, seat belt buttons, door pockets, a-pillar shrouds, driver side lumbar adjust screw (yeah, the big white one in the seat), but that and the rest of the maintenance is acceptable for a Volvo and the cars age. After all, a fine machine needs fine maintenance. I can easily see this car lasting me until at least 300,000 miles.

Review Date: 4th June, 2006

5th Jun 2006, 06:44

I have a 1990 740 GLE- have had it for 6 years. It is an excellent car, drives well (if a bit slow) and is really comfortable. It does need reasonably expensive maintenance sometimes, but so do most cars. I was in an accident once and it was amazing- hardly any damage to my car and a lot to other car... definately a very strong vehicle! Go the 740!

20th Nov 2006, 21:11

I also have a 89 740GL and I get a metallic noise as well at about 2000-2500rpm. Have you been able to find out what it is?

If you have please email me at listen69@gmail.com.

1990 Volvo 740 GL from North America

Summary:

It's crescent fresh!

No trouble other than the minor tune ups!

General Comments:

Best car ever! I've driven over 230,000 miles in this thing and almost never had trouble! My only complaint is the lack of cup holders. I deliver pizzas for a living and I would never trust another car to get me through. I keep wondering how long the engine will last, but it's still going strong! I'm thinking of having the engine and transmission rebuilt someday, I mean, the car is safe. It handles amazingly. I'd like to own this car forever.

Review Date: 28th May, 2006

1990 Volvo 740 GL 2.3L Gasoline from North America

Summary:

Very safe and reliable boxy transportation

Climate control illumination failed last month. Interior plastic parts are starting to crack and show their age.

General Comments:

The leather seats are nice and easily cleaned, and easy chore for a parent of a toddler. Interior space is plentiful and the roof rack comes in handy as well. All controls are easy to access. Body is built well, more than I can say for the interior. It's feels like driving a small tank. One feels safe being inside this well engineered car.

Review Date: 10th March, 2006