2001 Volvo S60 Reviews

Year of manufacture2001
Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 2.4L turbo Manual
Previous carChrysler Cirrus

Summary:

Performance, reliability and value, all wrapped up in one!

Have had to sink some money into the car in the last year or so, only because of the high mileage. Repairs have only really been general maintenance items.

I bought the car from my mom at 126,000 miles, and since then have replaced the alternator, done 2 tune-ups, 2 sets of tires, front brake pads, rotors and calipers once, front wheel bearings, and inner tie-rods.

Currently, the air conditioning doesn't work right. It works when the car is cold for about five minutes of driving, then blows warm. Maybe just needs freon, maybe more. Haven't looked into it yet.

Also, the emergency brake is broken. Hasn't really been an issue, it still passes inspection, and I just have to make sure I leave it in gear when I park.

It leaks a small amount of coolant from somewhere, but haven't pinpointed it yet.

The most pressing issue right now is it needs front struts. It bangs pretty hard on bumps, but other than that, it handles very well.

General Comments:

I have had the car for about three years now, and absolutely love it. The reliability is superior. I had an hour plus (each way) commute to work for over a year, and other than a few flat tires (due to the inner tie-rods being bad, causing the tires to ride uneven), it hasn't left me stranded once to this day. With almost 200,000 miles, it is starting to show its age, but still starts up every day and gets me where I need to go.

The turbo, mated with the 5-speed transmission, makes it a blast to drive. Even with the high mileage, it still has as much get-up-and-go as the day I bought it. Probably the most amazing thing is I am still on the original clutch, and that's saying something, considering the transmission has taken a beating from teaching a few people how to drive stick. :-)

Review Date: 6th October, 2012

16th Oct 2012, 23:57

Wow! I agree with your review! I own the same car, and have experienced the same maintenance / repairs as you have. My car has 220k km/140k miles on it, and has been a spectacular vehicle. The car is a monster on the highway; the T5 pulls as hard at 100 as it does at 60. 3-series drivers get embarrassed by this old Volvo regularly!

2001 Volvo S60 2.0L turbo from Sri Lanka

Model year2001
Year of manufacture2001
First year of ownership2010
Engine and transmission 2.0L turbo Manual
Previous carPeugeot 306

Summary:

A great car with great value and a great package

All the front lower-arm bushes and the top spring mounts were busted.

The coolant reservoir tank has cracks and leaks, and the power steering fluid reservoir is swollen and leaks from the cap.

The A/C blower motor is making a really big rattle.

Spare wheel locking nut is broken.

There's a gear oil leak that needs to be found and fixed.

General Comments:

Well, we bought this car as a replacement for our Pug 306. Our initial goal was to go for an S40 diesel, but ended up with this as all the S40s we looked were total crap.

This was imported to Sri Lanka in 2005 as a used car from the UK, and basically I'm the second owner in Sri Lanka.

The previous owners had neglected to maintain the car properly, and the interior of the car is in bad shape. Though the seats and all are good, the dashboard, door cards and switch panels all seem to be in need of replacement.

But the audio setup and the rest works completely fine. Has superb braking, even with worn out pads & rotors. Sometimes I fear that someone might rear-end me because of the stopping power.

The engine is powerful too. This is the fastest car I've driven and owned. It lets you overtake when needed, and gives that extra power when required.

One of the complaints that I have is that the car is very low to the ground. It may be good for Europe/USA and the likes, but for us where we have uneven roads and large pot holes, the car gets rubbed on the underside.

Review Date: 28th June, 2010