2001 Volvo S60 2.4, 5 cylinder, 168 hp from North America

Summary:

Fantastic In many ways, a breakthrough vehicle

So far, nothing has gone wrong with this car, as expected. I believe at 105k, I need to replace the gas filter and timing belt (as cars need this with age for the continuation of good performance).

General Comments:

I love this car a lot, as it is. I could change a few things, but overall, it was thought out very well, and has a great inner and outer design.

The ventilation system smells funny sometimes, but is very efficient, as it has foot vents for the back seats, as well as side vents between the doors.

One big no no about the car is its backward visibility, it can be difficult to swoop your head back when changing lanes, as Volvos are no longer boxy (I have gotten used to this).

The back seat are very comfortable, and have sufficient legroom when the front seats are pretty far up. I am 6' 2" and do not find that the front seats need to go back very far, they are quite comfortable and sporty.

In terms of performance, the car has sufficient acceleration for the size. It accelerates more quickly if you do not hold down the gas all the way. It can be sluggish when under 35 mph, but rides PERFECTLY at 50 mph plus. I took it to 115, and it didn't sway at all, and felt as if I were going 55 mph. If you want a safe car, which has good acceleration, I would recommend the 2.4t, or t5. Personally, I am fine with the standard s60 though.

Review Date: 7th September, 2006

2001 Volvo S60 S 2.0 light pressure turbo from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Better and cheaper than an equivalent Audi A4

Petrol flap fell off the second day I had the car.

General Comments:

Bought as an ex lease car (one owner, immaculate, 80k and FVSH) for UKP 5800 from a dealer with warranty. It represents so much car for the money it seems illegal.

The kids love the comfort, the space, the safe feel and the B pillar mounted face cooling vents (a superb touch). I love the standard equipment, the "hewn from solid rock" build quality, and the refined warble and punch from the smooth 5 cylinder engine. It's not a stunning handler, but it's competent enough for a family car. Oh and nobody makes seats like Volvo.

The car has been cheap to run, rarely returning less than 30 mpg. It has also been utterly reliable, and has build quality that matches or even eclipses the Germans, with a more pleasant image to boot. The car has had just one silly fault which the warranty paid for. Other than that, it looks, drives, and sounds like a 20,000 mile car. Doors clunk reassuringly, there is no wind or tyre roar and the interior trim doesn't emit even a hint of a squeak.

It's a subtle, classy family car which provides an attractive mix of premium sector build quality and refinement, with Ford and Vauxhall screen prices. I'd buy another tomorrow.

Review Date: 21st June, 2005

3rd Jul 2005, 11:10

I am reassured by your comments, as yourself just bought 2001 car with 78000 miles and the car drives and looks new.

14th Sep 2005, 07:37

I got the "pipe and slippers" jokes when I bought mine, but everyone that has been in it or driven it has said it was far nicer than they would have thought. In fact, one friend went straight out and bought one after driving it.

The performance particularly, surprises almost everyone. It's no sports car, but the turbo gives it a great midrange, and the car is far quicker than the average family hack. Sounds fantastic when worked hard as well - a bit like an old Audi Quattro.

2001 Volvo S60 2.4 Base from North America

Summary:

Extreme comfort with a sense of economy.

Upon delivery headlamp bulb connector was loose, water pump was leaking, turn signal lamp out, hesitation when accelerating from stop.

General Comments:

I purchased a 2001 S60 2.4 Base engine from a midwest dealership on E-Bay. I won the auction at $12,000 (U.S.) and considered the price to be excellent since most dealers were charging $15,000 - $17,000 retail for a similar car. The car came equiped with moonroof, heated leather seats, 15-inch wheels (ugh) with some worn tires. This is an interesting car. Being the non-turbocharged engine, I was worried that the car would be quite slow. It is very lazy off the line, but has more than adequate highway cruising abilities and can pass other without too much effort. I immediately traded out the 15 inch wheels for 17 inch alloys with new, wider tires. There was a vast improvement in handling. The purpose of this car was to have a daily driver that would be economical, comfortable, safe, and still carry some style along. This car is hands down, the most comfortable vehicle I have owned. Ergonomics are excellent and the front seats will get you across long distances without any distress (I'm 6 feet 2 inches and tall in the saddle.)

The stock stereo is excellent and the one-tough power windows and moonroof operate flawlessly. This is not a fast car on the low end, but it will cruise quite nicely with a satisfying hum. My other vehicle is a Mercedes CLK55 AMG and while there is no comparison as far as performance goes, I often find myself taking the Volvo simply because of its comfortable, relaxing manners. I am fortunate to have a unique color, Maya-Gold, and am often asked about the car at gas stops. The dealership service has been exceptional. The car needed a new water pump (this was stated from the onset from the seller) and the service was not cheap. However, the dealer set an appointment, kept it, gave me a loaner car (s40), and had the repair done the next day. Cost of repair was $569. I have yet to have any other problem arise since (5k miles later). The car has mainted 26 miles per gallon, mostly city driving! Expecting somewhat of a dressed-up economy car, this vehicle has been growing on me quite strongly. My Mercedes is being a bit neglected. I look forward to rounding the 100,000 mark within the next few years. If you see an S60 in good shape, and want an extremely comfortable daily driver, I would highly suggest this car.

Review Date: 26th April, 2005

6th Jul 2005, 16:11

I purchased a 2001 S60 2.4t Volvo in Nov. of 2000. At first I loved the car, it was smooth, quiet and nice looking. As time went on, I realized that the back seat was very small, the transmission had continuous problems and we had to replace the rotors every 20,000 miles. Under warranty, these repairs were not an issue, but Volvo wanted an additional $2600+ for an extended warranty which would not cover all of the problems such as the rotors. I am finding that at a little over 62k miles, I cannot afford to fix all of the little things that keep coming along. Now they want $160 for a motor mount, $120 to check why the emissions service light has come on, a week after our $648 tune up.

My suggestion is to sell your Volvo once the original warranty is up.