2001 Volvo V70 XC turbo from North America

Summary:

My Volvo is a

I have needed a new shift interlock cable.

I have had 2 rear door hatches.

At 40K, I needed to replace brake pads.

At 35K, new tires were needed and now, again at 57K, a second set!

There has been an ongoing software problem that causes surging of the throttle on the highway.

I have had to replace the CD player.

Finally, I am replacing the left rear wheel bearing.

General Comments:

This car is wonderful. It truly is a joy to drive-- when it is working! The interior is very nicely designed and it is a solid feeling car.

I have surmised through owning this car for 2 years that the reason Volvos are so safe is because they are always in the shop.

Review Date: 4th August, 2003

17th Nov 2004, 16:35

I agree with you, Volvo's are not very reliable and it is quite costly.

2001 Volvo V70 from Netherlands

Summary:

Comfortable and reliable

There was a squeak in the rear suspension fixed under warranty.

General Comments:

Super comfortable vehicle, especially for long trips. Quiet and effortless.

Reasonable fuel consumption given the size of the car, and especially frugal if you drive economically.

There's plenty of room for the teenagers, as well as loading space in the rear.

Handling and braking are great.

If you want a quick performer then go for the bigger motor or turbo, but be prepared for the fuel bills!

Review Date: 7th February, 2003

2001 Volvo V70 2.4 from Belgium

Summary:

Nice car, but too much trouble; I will never buy another one

I have had 12 recurring faults so far. Here are the high points:

Engine miss at 2250 to 2500 RPM.

Speedometer error of 10 km/h slow.

Passenger's side front speaker not working.

In-dash cup holder broken.

Power windows operate sporadically.

Multiple "bulb failure" messages.

Replaced 4 headlights in 30,000 km.

Remote locking system most uncooperative.

General Comments:

Dealer service in Belgium is the very worst I have ever experienced.

It is a nice car on the road, though. It is comfortable and easy to drive and handles nicely, although it has the turning radius of a river barge.

It has comfortable seats, with heat, and I can sit in them all day and arrive quite fresh.

The engine is quite willing, but I would like a bit more power when joining highways. I have the Canadian spec 168 hp model.

The car is a technological and maintenance nightmare for a busy person. There is a new fault literally ever week and I am completely fed up with this aspect of the vehicle.

In summary, I had expected a lot more from a "quality vehicle" after spending almost half a year's salary!

Review Date: 7th January, 2003

2001 Volvo V70 T-5 2.5L turbo from North America

Summary:

Performance and safety comes at a price

Drivers seat leather needed replacement at 10,000 miles. Replaced under warranty.

Head and tail light bulbs have been replaced 2 times.

Sun roof rattles. Dealer cannot fix.

Rear doors rattle near speakers.

Cooling fan replaced at 66,000 miles. Cost over $300.

Throttle body assembly replaced at 96,000 miles. Cost $886.

General Comments:

The V70 T-5 incredibly fun to drive and has the safety ratings to back up the performance.

However, This car spends way too much time in the shop for a $40,000 wagon. The 2 service writers at my local Volvo dealer know me on a first name basis.

Review Date: 12th November, 2002

10th Aug 2004, 13:39

I cannot add a thing. My 2001 V70 T5 (80K miles) has had all those plus front stabilizer link. Oh and those Pirelli P6 tires (yikes!) Love the car, hate all the issues. I will buy the largest warranty available next time.

11th Nov 2004, 21:56

Would like to hear some comments on the 2.4T version of the V70 wagon.

Thank you because I am trying to decide which model to buy and not have expenses.

11th Jan 2005, 20:29

I have had all of the same issues as mentioned. Lights, front end, brakes, sun roof, transmission, rattles, hole in fuel filler tube, and I just replaced the throttle body unit for 1060.00. I will not buy another Volvo. Car has 127,000kms.

29th Jun 2008, 20:25

The only car I can see replacing our 2001 V70 T-5 is a brand new one. Nothing significant has gone wrong in 110,000km, just had it serviced and had the throttle bodies cleaned which cured a slight surging on idle.

The leather is wearing well, still goes like stink and it fits the family including two dogs in superb fashion. I wouldn't 'upgrade' to the XC as this car is ideal for us. Safety, interior room, performance, style.

I'd prefer if the suspension was firmer (not entirely planted at high speed in sweeping corners), but it would sacrifice ride quality around town which is where is spends most of its time. Possibly uprated anti roll bars in the future for us.

For the money, I can't see any other vehicle providing the same level of satisfaction.