2001 Volvo XC70 turbo from North America

Summary:

Volvo: boxy, but good!

I have had no problems with this car, outside of typical maintenance.

General Comments:

This is my second Volvo, my first was a 240 wagon that I bought used at 4 years and 40,000 miles, that I drove for 8 years and sold with 165,000 miles.

When it was time to purchase a new car, I knew I wanted a Volvo. I haven't regretted my decision yet, and it will be 10 years this spring since I bought it.

Volvo without a doubt make the most comfortable cars to drive. I love the security of the AWD, and the solid feel of the car.

As far as cost of maintenance, Volvo is a little pricier than domestic brands, but you get what you pay for.

As far as handling, nothing beats the turning radius of the Volvo 240!!! I still miss that!

I love my husbands BMW (they don't call it The Ultimate Driving Machine for nothing), but I put my safety and the safety of my children in the hands of my Volvo everyday.

Review Date: 8th January, 2011

2001 Volvo XC70 Cross Country from North America

Summary:

Garbage - avoid

Electrical, heating and A/C, lighting all had failures.

Transmission failed at 160,000.

General Comments:

I wanted to take a moment to share my utter displeasure and disappointment with Volvo. In 2002 I purchased a 2001 Volvo Cross Country wagon, which was my first “luxury” vehicle. It was highly rated at the time on Consumer Reports, but I believed the higher price tag would pay off with many years of satisfied ownership. After all, the Volvo name brand was steeped in a tradition of long ownership, the commercials told of people with 200k, 300k, or even 400k miles on their vehicles.

I wanted to make sure my investment was well taken care of, so decided to handle all of my service needs through my dealership. This was expensive, but I was joining the Volvo family and felt it was the best way to get a long life out of my investment.

At the same time I purchased a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Not highly rated by Consumer Reports, but I needed a second vehicle to use in snow and the price was right. I spent about $8,000 USD less for the vehicle, which had comparable equipment.

Now cut ahead to 2010, and by chance both vehicles suffered major mechanical issues. The engine on the Jeep failed, and the transmission on the Volvo failed. I sold the Jeep for parts, but was sure my investment in the Volvo brand would be a good one, and I planned to fix my V70. I quickly learned that the 2000 and 2001 Volvo wagons have not been found to have had transmission problems, and my Volvo was not worth fixing. I wound up also selling for parts because nobody wanted what Consumer Reports calls “a used car to avoid”. Looking back, there were always issues with the vehicle including electrical, air conditioning and headlights.

Now that I have reflected on my Volvo experience, I would like you to know I would never again purchase a Volvo product. Overall, my Volvo was more expensive, and in the long term cost me roughly 30% more to maintain over that period of time – a terrible financial decision with an unacceptable total cost of ownership. As for Customer Service, I called the customer center and was told that I should be satisfied, and that the car lasted for 160,000 miles. Not quite the response I would have expected, but again Volvo is not what they used to be.

I just completed the purchase of two new vehicles, a Toyota Highlander for my wife to replace the Volvo, and a Subaru for my son who is a new driver. I have another son who will be driving in two years, so he will also get a Subaru. Had I had a good experience with Volvo, that would be three new Volvos I would be considering instead of the competition.

Volvo is not a high quality vehicle and the brand known for many years of satisfied ownership is no more. Volvo is now another average automaker with the same quality issues as all of the others. Now that I have learned that lesson the hard way, I will spend my money more wisely in the future.

Review Date: 6th December, 2010

6th Dec 2010, 13:42

Subaru is better quality than Volvo these days!

Sad to say, but true.

26th Nov 2011, 09:55

No way, I am on my third Volvo, and will always love these cars.

You have to take care of them and maintain them, but I would take Volvo over any car.

18th Jun 2012, 02:22

Have seen many Outbacks fail prematurely, before 160k...

31st Jul 2012, 04:05

I purchased a 2001 XC70 about two and half years ago.

I love Volvo, grew up with them, we had them all, 544, 122, 144, 164, Mellow Yellow...

Thus far, I had to attend to the following at just over 200 000km:

1) Replaced water bottle.

2) Replaced power steering fluid reservoir.

3) Replaced water pump.

4) Head gasket popped, completely rebuilt head, and skimmed the block.

5) Replaced front suspension bushes.

6) Replaced ABS control module.

7) Replaced all the engine mounts.

8) Replaced the brake booster.

9) The gearbox was replaced when I bought the car, but doesn't seem to work that well now...

I'm still trying to figure out how all of those components could fail on a Volvo??