2001 Acura CL Reviews

2001 Acura CL Type S from North America

Year of manufacture2001
First year of ownership2009
Previous carInfiniti G35

Summary:

I would recommend this car

The check engine light came on when the temp dropped below 50 degrees. It indicated a faulty ECM. The dealer quoted me $1500 to repair. I decided to do some research, and found that if I warmed up the car for about 5 minutes, and then restarted, it would not be in LIMP Mode. I live in Houston TX, so below 50 degrees is only about 4 months in the year.

It does have a Comtech air filter as well as a Comtech stabilizer bar under the hood.

General Comments:

Other than the issue during the winter months, it has been almost zero maintenance.

Review Date: 6th November, 2010

6th Dec 2012, 17:04

Thanks. I am about to get an 01 CL with 150,000. Is that bad... or is it cool? It's my first Acura. Email me if you have something good to say about it. LOL thanks.

Jason, madroomintheback@gmail.com

2001 Acura CL S 3.2 from North America

Year of manufacture2001
Most recent distance82000 miles
Previous carPontiac Grand Am

Summary:

Best thing on four wheels!

Nothing.

General Comments:

This car is not only the best car I have ever owned, but also the best purchase I have ever made.

The Type S is quick and the sonorous engine note is addicting, it's faster than 9 out of 10 vehicles on the road.

The seats are very comfortable and form fitting.

The handling of the car could be better but is adequate to take turns at approximately 50 or 55 mph.

The appearance of the car is sporty yet not overdone, it still retains it's elegance. The stance of the vehicle looks firm and ready to attack.

The reliability is amazing, through the 8 or 9 years of life of the vehicle the only thing replaced was a seat part for the auto seats and the mandatory cooling installation, ordered in the manufacturer transmission recall.

Overall this car has made me realize the supremacy of Acura as an automotive brand, I fully intend on purchasing a brand spanking new one, if they ever come out with another coupe that is.

Review Date: 2nd August, 2009

3rd Aug 2009, 10:16

I currently own a 2003 Acura CLS. This is not my first Acura, however, it is by far the best! I cannot bring myself to upgrade. If American auto makers built closer to the Acura standards, their problems would be non-existent.

2001 Acura CL Type-S 3.2 from North America

Year of manufacture2000
Engine and transmission 3.2 Semi-Automatic

Summary:

Do not buy; bad tranny!

Transmission 1 went at 36K miles.

Transmission 2 went at 98K miles.

Transmission 3 went at 168K miles.

Other things went bad, but the tranny is bad.. VERY BAD!

General Comments:

Do not buy this car; they said they fixed the tranny problem, but they are wrong; I am on my 4th tranny!

Review Date: 14th July, 2009

23rd Jul 2011, 20:07

I see a lot of 2001-2003 CL's for sale at low prices, and have to wonder how many had transmission problems or currently have one.

Lots of people have complained about that issue. The second generation are nice looking cars (I have a 1998 BTW), but I would never consider one. Too much risk.

24th Jul 2011, 14:53

That was one of the reason I didn't buy an Acura TL/CL... when they added that sport shift device on their transmission. I use to have a friend back in the 70s that would shift the automatic transmission himself... it was a 3 speed automatic. He would put it in low gear and wouldn't let it out of that gear till it was howling... he went through automatic transmissions like they were candy... but back then they were cheap to buy and rebuild... so when manufacturers started putting these sport shifter/paddle shifters on their cars, I stay away.

On the Wikipedia website for the Acura TL, they say the problem started when in 2000 when they went to a 5 speed automatic transmission with sport shifter. Prior TL/CL models had a 4 speed transmission. Not sure if that was stronger or what. They say that the third clutch pack wore and started to fail on the 5 speed trans.... which caused particles to block off the oil passages. They say they seem to have finally gotten it right in the 2005 transmission redesign...