2001 Acura CL Type S with Navi 3.2L VTEC V6 from North America

Summary:

Power with class

Transmission failed, but was covered under a recall, and fixed free of charge.

The tech level is well behind what similar American cars had at the time. Steering wheel stereo controls, air handling system, gages, all were inferior to the technology in my 1999 Grand Prix.

General Comments:

Had the same power (260hp) and handling of my '99 Grand Prix GTX, but with a lot more style and class. Also - got me hooked on navigation systems. The 2001 had a small screen, and a slow DVD-based system, but it still rocked my world, and I'll never own a car without one again!

I got in a pretty bad wreck with it (I T-Boned an older model Taurus at about 35MPH) and other than the dust in the cabin and the ringing in my ears from the airbag deployment, I didn't have a scratch on me. The Taurus I hit was totaled, and there was $15,000 of damage to my car ($17,000 would have totaled it), but it made me feel very safe to have experienced that accident, and come out of it like I did.

The car was so nice, I stayed with Acura, and traded it for a 2004 TL.

Review Date: 5th May, 2008

2001 Acura CL 3.2 from North America

Summary:

My car has been a pleasure to own the last 3 years

At around 70k or 4 years old, one headlight bulb 'outgassed' requiring replacement of both lamps due to different intensities at $100 each.

90k, paint on top of steering wheel wearing off revealing black underneath tan color. Found a new one on Ebay for $40.

General Comments:

My car has been a pleasure to own the last 3 years. I've owned it the last 3 years and its close to 100k, and as far as I'm concerned, it still runs and drives like new.

I've used this car to deliver pizzas for like 40k miles. I have a trailer hitch installed and haul 2000 pounds up and down the west coast from time to time.

I rarely ever run the engine up, but when I do, the car is quick, smooth, and misleadingly quiet.

I replaced the front brakes when I bought the car and again very recently. Both times I went with dealership pads ($50) and autozone rotors. I recommend the dealer pads mainly because I believe non-OEM pads are sub par at dissapating heat. Many seem to complain about warped rotors, this could be partially to blame. I changed rotors with pads because they are cheap at Azone and this will aid further to prevent warpage, having a rotor with the maximum amount available.

I bought the car with Michelin tires on it. Belts separated (2nd time with Michelins) so new tires were in order. I went with Yokohama YK420s. These tires deserve a lot of praise. First off they are quiet. Braking and cornering are good in wet and dry weather. With 25k on them, they still look new.

I've never owned a car for longer than 2 years. The fact that I've owned this for 3 years, speaks volumes. It is a good mix of styling, reliability, performance, and economy, but it is not great in any of these areas. If the exterior styling would have been more exciting when it came out, maybe they would have sold more cars and it might exist still today. The interior styling has not aged well at all. It looks like it could pass for 1990, not 2001.

At this point, I'm at a crossroads. I'd like to get a newer TL, but this car has done so well, I'd like to see if I can get 200k out of it. I'm just bored of the styling inside and out, though. I don't know what to do.

Review Date: 28th October, 2006