2001 Acura CL 3.2 from North America

Summary:

Love hate car

From day one this Acura CL had several fit and finish problem. I never wanted to drive it home, but I did and have never been fully happy with it. Acura HAS DONE SOME THINGS WELL AND SOME NOT. After owning an Acura Integra, I thought I could expect a well engineered CL, it's not. My standards are high and Acura is hardly a contender in the luxury/performance cars. The brakes and transmission are a joke and were not meant for a high horsepower 2- door car. I was lucky and the dealer tried three times to repair the rotors that warp easily. When that didn't work, Acura gave me $600 in cash to do my own repair.

I must say the dealer has been very good about fixing everything, however I average a repair about every 4000 miles.

The newest problem is the AC readout displays "20".

To Acura's credit I have not paid for any repairs, making the car a low cost car to own. I love cars, and many of the loaner cars have been as good or better that the CL.

General Comments:

I don't think I will ever trust Acura to purchase a new car from, as their quality is too hit and miss. Many people who know me have purchased Lexus knowing all the problems I have had.

Review Date: 16th March, 2005

2001 Acura CL S type 3.2 from North America

Summary:

Amazing, just amazing

I had to change the front brake pads, but that might have been from stomping on the brakes at 120 m.p.h. when the state trooper came by on the other side of the highway on a 1,000 mile run recently.

Was a slight incorrect fit on the driver door rest that the dealer replaced perfectly at no charge. My Acura dealer is amazingly good, polite, careful with my car. God, I am happy.

1 factory recall to check 2nd gear. No problem on mine.

Nothing else in almost 5 years of ownership since spanking new.

General Comments:

This automobile is just a fabulous piece of machinery. After the reliable '89 Legend I owned, I got this S-type and it has just been a rocket. I drive hard and it takes everything I give at it. When you consider the experience Honda has at engines in Formula 1 and other top racing forums, the technology embedded in the car is superior to all else, dollar for dollar.

It is very balanced. Ride, handling, braking, power, matches up perfectly. This car can dance. If you want firmer ride or more power, the aftermarket parts are right there and waiting.

The interior is just gorgeous. Leather still smells new! Seats are fabulous, fit is excellent.

Get the factory rear spoiler, it makes the car look much better.

The fact that 2 doors are not big sellers in the US has ended this and other lovely machines from being around more.

Dollar for dollar, you can't get a better car in the used vehicle market. The prices are great for the CL-S.

Review Date: 10th March, 2005

2001 Acura CL Type S 3.2 from North America

Summary:

Fast, classy, yet affordable.

Brake and rotor problems. They need to be replaced quite often.

Side airbag light comes on for no reason.

General Comments:

My car has not had this problem, but the 01 Acura CL type S is notorious for transmission problems. Acura recognizes this problem and will fix it if the car has less than 100,000 miles on it.

Performance is very good for a car of this size. Lots of power and decent handling at high speeds.

Car gets about 22 miles per gallon in town.

Interior is plush and very luxurious.

A wonderful car and I absolutely love it! I would definitely recommend Acura to anyone.

Review Date: 27th May, 2004

5th Feb 2005, 18:28

When you state that "the side airbag light comes on for no reason" you don't indicate if someone was sitting in the passenger seat.

Having owned one of these cars, I know that if your passenger moves around in their seat and sits a certain way, the side airbag light will come on UNTIL they resume sitting in a more normal fashion and then the light will go off. The light is warning you that if your passenger sits in that fashion, they will not be properly protected if the side air bag is deployed.

19th May 2005, 18:20

To supplement the last comment about the passenger side airbag lights. It will also flicker on and off if you have objects on the passenger seat. I usually belt down my briefcase in the passenger seat and as it hits the side bolsters the light comes on.

Brakes: I think the brakes are exceptional. I put 77,000 miles, 50,000 of which in one year before I changed the brakes. Also they don't create as much brake dust as those Beemmers do. Have you noticed how filthy their front wheels are?

5th May 2006, 18:20

The side air bag light comes on when my teenage daughter squirrels around in the seat. When she sits like an adult, the light goes off.

12th Oct 2007, 18:17

My transmission keeps slipping when I drive uphill. It just will not move.