2001 BMW 3 Series Reviews - Page 6 of 14

2001 BMW 3 Series 320d 2.0 turbo diesel from Australia and New Zealand

Model year1998
Engine and transmission 2.0 turbo diesel Manual
Previous carHolden Commodore

Summary:

Relentless mileage eater

I have replaced two light bulbs.

General Comments:

This car is a real ultimate driving machine.

Its 136 horsepower engine is magnificent.

It really does handle like it's on rails.

Performance is not earth shattering from the word go, but once you get moving most cars are usually in the way.

Built quality is second to none.

Manual transmission is absolute joy and very user friendly.

After 152200 km it drives like brand new car.

This car will last forever with proper maintenance.

With combination of city and motorway driving, I get about 900 km out of the tank of diesel.

When I take everything into consideration, this really is the ultimate driving machine.

Review Date: 29th November, 2008

2001 BMW 3 Series 330d SE 3.0 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 3.0 turbo diesel Manual
Distance when acquired82000 miles
Most recent distance102000 miles
Previous carSkoda Octavia

Summary:

Great for long distance cruise or back road blast

Clutch went at 87,000, though that's par for the course I'm told.

Engine mounts gone at 90,000. BMW use the same ones on a two liter diesel.

Wishbone bushings gone twice since purchase, again same ones used across series range of engines.

General Comments:

Solid car for long journeys, step out feeling brand new.

Fairly quick car without guzzling juice, 37mpg for 204bhp ain't bad.

Review Date: 21st July, 2008

2001 BMW 3 Series 330XI 3.0 litre from North America

Engine and transmission 3.0 litre Manual
Previous carToyota 4Runner

Summary:

The best sports sedan you can get in the US

Driver's window electric lift mechanism failed.

Power steering fluid leak-replacement of seals.

Rear brake pads replaced.

Headlamp washer on right had to be replaced - leaked out fluid.

Three rims needed replacement due to damage.

Front suspension is now showing worn rocker arms (?) that dealer wanted to replace, but my mechanic thought I could hold off for another couple of years.

General Comments:

I bought this car as a certified lease trade in, and am disappointed with the wear it had considering the low mileage.

Also, I've taken it to dealers in NY state, where I bought it, and Massachusetts, where I work, and find that they are too eager to replace things, and are absurdly expensive. Despite all of this, I would buy another in a heartbeat.

This is an incredibly fun car to drive. I have a Porsche 911 C4S that is slightly more fun, but a lot harder to drive (shift mechanism is tougher, need much higher RPMs to get up to speed). The BMW 330 XI is an effortless sports sedan. The transmission is remarkably easy to shift, it quickly reaches high torque and is a very comfortable ride.

However, I would recommend that anyone considering it make sure they have a good mechanic, and not rely on the dealerships in the US for service after the first 3 years. It doesn't need service often (maybe once or twice a year in addition to oil changes) but repairs can be expensive at the dealerships.

Review Date: 10th March, 2008

26th Jun 2009, 09:56

I have owned BMW cars for 25 years; the 3-series are still my choice for most bang for the buck. It took me a decade to find the right mechanic here in NYS. I concur with your assessment that a private mechanic is the only reasonable answer for repair problems.

Best regards.

ETC.

2001 BMW 3 Series 330Ci convertible 3.0 DOHC I6 from North America

Engine and transmission 3.0 DOHC I6 Semi-Automatic
Most recent distance42000 miles
Previous carChrysler Sebring Convertible

Summary:

Gorgeous, solid, fun-to-drive 4-place convertible

Nothing in last 7000 miles.

A week out in the rain caused some temporary misfiring; weak spark coil or wiring?

M-style 17 in alloy wheels were dinged up and out of round when purchased and had to be replaced to get good balance.

Front control arm bushings were destroyed with the wheels. Took me 6 mo to figure out what was loose in there. Previous owner must have ignored potholes.

General Comments:

This is a truly beautiful machine and perfect for someone who likes a roadster, but needs a back seat and trunk at times. It is fun just to look at with smooth lines and those big shiny brakes exposed by open alloy wheels. Small touches like the auto-leveling xenon headlamps, numerous courtesy lights, auto-dipping passenger side rear view mirror, outstandingly tight and well-designed convertible top that stows under a hinged panel, all make for a very special automobile.

It's a heavier, stiffer (with sport suspension) and more solid car than the small roadsters, or a Sebring. But it moves out smartly when asked, and corners with no body roll and perfectly neutral steering. All controls are moderately powered for excellent road feel. The brakes are the smoothest, lightest and most powerful I've ever encountered.

The simple gauges hark back to classic sports cars and the straight DOHC six sounds like a classic Jag or Healey, only better. Even the starter sounds unusually robust, like that of a truck engine. This car is so much fun it really will have you taking the long way home. These days, it is significant that this hot rod gets 22 mpg in town and 30 mpg on the highway.

Review Date: 12th January, 2008

26th Jan 2009, 21:12

One of the best cars I have owned next to my '76 2002 (which I bought for $7000 in '77 and sold 9 years later for $5000). I have mixed opinions on the auto, it is fun but I wish I had the manual, except of course that I probably would be dead now. I took a quick look at what might suffice as a new replacement car but just can't find the blend of design, finish, and compliments per mile (in the summer). Even the traction control is a blast. Just turn it off in the winter and.. wow, just like my old '68 Firebird going sideways!

2nd Jun 2009, 19:54

How is the car now? I'm thinking of purchasing an 01', I'm just wondering how the car is like 8 years from your purchase. And how many miles have you put on it? And what would you recommend looking at for this particular vehicle?