2001 BMW 3 Series 316Ti Compact 1.8i petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Surprisingly good, get a manual though. Pity mine hasn't got a sunroof

One coil pack failed at about 69,000 km.

General Comments:

I thought being a 1.8 (yes, 1.8 on a 316ti) 115-bhp car, weighing 1,200 kg, it would struggle. But having a manual gearbox helps, and easily pulls the car uphills at open road speeds without a problem. Very surprised, coming from a 160bhp V6 Galant and a row of Audis.

Unusually frugal - my previous cars average only 8.5 km/L (11.76 L/100 km, 20.2 US MPG, 27.7 UK MPG) due to terrain and only get to 12 km/L (8.33/28.5/36.36) on long drives; this BMW averages 11.5 km/L easily, and on recent trips out of town, even did as high as 16.5 km/L!

It may be a hatch, but it is only 100 kg (or, one male passenger equivalent) lighter than my Galant and other Audis, so it is not a light car. So I suppose the manual helped there again.

The seats are very good for long distance driving. Support in the right places. Better than the Galant or my previous A4. And the BMW doesn't even have lumbar support adjustment!

Steering is communicative, offers good feel. Well-weighted. And even has steering controls, a luxury in 2001, which I thought was a gimmick until found out how well-designed it was.

Controls are all tactile and damped.

Doesn't feel as "carved-from-granite" as the older E36 3-series cars though, whose doors felt like concrete with the glass welded and not a single rattle. This one feels more conventional.

At suburban speeds, the gear ratios feel they could be better spaced.

The outside temp gauge is very accurate, either spot-on or within a degree of the correct temperature; the Galant's was always 3-4 deg C too optimistic.

On NZ's coarse-chip roads, quieter than the Galant, on par with Audis, but not as quiet as a Hyundai Sonata nor a 5-Series BMW. May just need to change tyres, not much else can be done.

Mine was well-equipped - in a rare gray-green metallic, it even had the walnut dash, cruise control, reversing sensors. I only wish it had a sunroof.

Overall, this car was much better than expected. It's basically a 3-series with a hatchback, which makes it much easier to park (shorter, without the length of the boot). Comfy seats, frugal, nimble, and details were well-thought out.

Review Date: 7th January, 2011

28th Feb 2012, 12:36

Update: 86K km. Just had a service done. Routine servicing was straightforward. It needed new front brakes - my mechanic showed me the parts and was amazed that all the pads wore equally evenly, down to about 3mm. The discs themselves couldn't be machined anymore, because it wouldn't meet minimum requirements, but never warped. I guess there's something to be said for original equipment (or OEM).

Besides that, I had him check two bearing-like sounds coming from the front, worried it may be a failing water pump. Wasn't the water pump, they replaced a pulley and a roller, and at the same time the drive belt (now 10 years old, still the original one).

22nd Oct 2013, 13:34

Update: Now has done 112K km. Just passed yet another warrant of fitness (done at 6 months) without a problem - I was expecting it to fail because at least of tyre wear, but no. I fully expected this car to need repairs every six or so months due to age (small things), but knock on wood, it's been even more reliable than my Mitsubishi Galant.

The clutch shudders every so often when taking off, but not always - when I take it to the mechanic, it just won't do it. But it has been like that since acquiring it 3 years ago at 65K km, and hasn't gotten any worse. I usually start thinking of replacing a car by this time (car now 12 years old), but not this car. I still think the gear ratios between second and third could be better-spaced. But, no complaints except that I wish the original owner had specified heated mirrors (a sunroof would've been nice too).

2001 BMW 3 Series 316i 1.9 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Brilliant driver's car, colossal maintenance costs

Replaced or discovered the following in a total of 19 months:

Oxygen sensors.

Leaking rear shocks.

Oil level sensor.

Oil temperature gauge.

Corroding brake lines.

Wheel bearing.

Heater matrix.

Oil leaks from sump and filter housing.

Rusting front wing and under grill on bonnet.

Fuel pump.

Breather pipe.

General Comments:

Great drivers car, comfortable and everything within reach.

Can't fault the styling and comfort.

Let down by huge maintenance costs. Always read these reviews with similar to above, thinking "what a nightmare to own that car". Well I ended up with one.

Can't say I would bother again with a BMW unless it was new.

Review Date: 11th November, 2010

12th Nov 2010, 14:45

Oil LEVEL sensor? My 316ti has a dipstick, nothing in the manual saying it has electronic level reading even on the trip computer.

And the car doesn't have an oil temperature gauge either - a coolant one, sure. Was the gauge aftermarket?