2002 BMW Mini Reviews

2002 BMW Mini from Australia and New Zealand

Model year2003
Previous carNissan Pulsar

Summary:

You might get lucky, I didn't. Wasn't worth the trouble

Everything!

1. Reverse light didn't come on. Turned out to be the switch, electrical problem. $200.

2. Windscreen wipers - seized up in a storm on the highway. Motor need to be replaced $900.

Mini service - $1400, ouch.

3. Boot wouldn't open, faulty switch. This began as an occasional thing, until finally the thing just wouldn't open at all. About $200 or more.

4. (I hear this is a common problem) Power steering - was faulty for a long time (would randomly fail and require restart of car). Finally the motor continued to run after the car was turned off - New power steering motor (was melted inside). Can't remember, probably about $1500.

4.5. Soon after, one of the hoses was leaking - $200. And that was with a replacement hose made by the mechanic.

5. New brake discs - general wear and tear.

Stiff gears.

This is when I traded the stupid thing in!

General Comments:

It is great, EVERYONE comments on it. It is fun to drive, everything is round and pretty, and it has all the gadgets. Problem is, all the gadgets break, and are really hard and expensive to fix.

Not a lot of people will fix Mini's, you have to find certain people who know what they are doing. The windscreen wipers were ridiculously expensive, because they had to dismantle almost the whole engine to get to the wiper motor.

Space wise, I can actually fit a lot in with the seats down; it's the same size as a Swift.

Review Date: 29th December, 2010

2002 BMW Mini Cooper S Supercharged from North America

Engine and transmission Supercharged Manual
Previous carGeo Tracker

Summary:

Great

General Comments:

My 2002 Mini S has been a good car overall. I replaced the clutch at 95,000 miles, and the car still runs great. I think the 02-06 S models are the best. I wouldn't recommend the non S model, because I hear they have lots of problems.

Review Date: 28th July, 2010

2002 BMW Mini Cooper from North America

Model year2002
Engine and transmission Manual

Summary:

Buy if you like spending money on performance

2 clutches have been replaced, one at 12,500 miles and one at 51,000.

Transmission was replaced at 51,000 miles.

Wheel was replaced at 1,000 (tiny hole leaking in metal).

Glove box replaced at 5,000.

Fan replaced at 30,000 miles.

Brakes replaced at 30,000 miles and at 75,000 miles.

Electric windows repaired.

Waiting in shop right now because it won't go into gear.

General Comments:

I love the way this car drives; it handles better than any other car I have driven (and I have driven a lot!).

However, I don't think the costs of repairs is worth the performance. I have a 2002 made within the first few months, so I am not sure if that affects the reliability, but it is terribly unreliable. Much of this work was done under warranty, but it had to be towed 160 miles away 3 times. It has caused more than a few headaches.

In addition, I have had to purchase the last clutch for 2,500! (It was repaired in San Francisco).

I love driving my car when it's running, but I am afraid it is time to move on before the engine falls out.

Review Date: 8th December, 2007

6th Mar 2012, 21:12

Sounds like driver error for the clutch.

2002 BMW Mini Cooper from North America

Model year2002
Previous carHonda Civic

Summary:

So cool, but so high maintenance

Under warranty: transmission seal leaking, doors unlocking by themselves, fan failing, airbag light on without impact, miscellaneous recalls.

After warranty: rear LED top light cracking, brake lights always on, mirror module failed, seems to have overheated.

General Comments:

I have a launch edition 2002 Mini Cooper, which I bought brand new.

I have had a love-hate relationship with my car; I love the way it handles, how fuel efficient it is and convenient to park; I hate feeling as thought it will fail me again and again and again.

So far I have been lucky, it hasn't cost me much to repair it, but I have a very uncomfortable feeling that it will (it now has 83000 km).

The dealership near my house has a very good service department, and there's a couple of advisors I go to whom I trust more than the others. But the electricals on these cars are just plain unreliable. I have bought a CAA membership for my Mini just in case.

I have a 16 year-old Honda Civic with 260,000kms that loves me more than my very expensive Mini (37,000 CAD after all is said and done).

I have resisted selling it ever since its warranty expired a year ago, but I am now close to the point of accepting that it must be done. At least I can get about 16,000 CAD for it, and maybe buy something reliable like the Honda Fit (doubt that I'll love it as much, but I'm pretty sure I won't hate is as much), except the Honda dealers around here are real #$^&*!

Review Date: 18th June, 2007