2002 BMW Mini Cooper 1.6 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Never, ever buy one

This was over a 32 week period.

Power steering failed.

Gearbox failed.

Clutch broke twice.

Airbag light permanently on due to faulty seat connector.

Fuel pump pressure low.

Gear selection cable failed.

Stutters on pull off in first.

Both front seats replaced twice due first to them collapsing and then to hopeless attempts to re-fit new ones.

Steering column replaced.

New battery box and fuse box covers.

Drivers door trim replaced.

Scratched centre console on delivery.

Rattling dash.

Broken heater - not connected on delivery.

Windscreen replaced 3 times due to poor fitment.

Drivers seat leaning to the left.

All backed up by lies and time wasting from BMW dealerships.

General Comments:

A great little car made pointless by dreadful build quality and BMW service centres that couldn't care less. I really wanted to like this car, but BMW will go to great lengths to make you hate it.

Review Date: 12th June, 2003

23rd Jun 2003, 05:46

I also own a cooper (2003 model) My experience is the total opposite of yours. I would recommend a mini to any one and my local dealer is 1st class..

My mini has done nearly 4000 miles so it's of similar mileage to yours. You have been very unlucky or I have been very lucky.

Good luck in the future with her!!

2002 BMW Mini One 1.6 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A good looking car, but just look

Gear linkage.

Rattles.

Clutch.

Window sticks.

Handbrake only holds on one wheel.

Clutch Again.

Rear lights misting up.

Difficult getting into gear.

Clutch Again.

Pulls to one side.

Drivers seat squeaks.

General Comments:

I bought this car to boost my business as a driving school.

The car itself looks great and drives well. The interior looks funky and all my pupils have commented on how good the car looks and drives.

However it appears it is not built strong enough to cope with a bit of abuse from learner drivers.

I have had 3 new clutches in this car. The first after 20,000 miles, then after 22,000 miles and now after 34,000 miles.

The dealers are polite and try to be helpful but seem unable to accept there is a problem with the car and not mine or my pupils driving.

Considering the car is built by BMW it is very poor.

Review Date: 27th May, 2003

7th Jun 2003, 06:44

I think you probably got a lemon.

30th Jun 2003, 03:51

If it's a lemon shouldn't BMW replace it???

15th Nov 2003, 17:26

Try getting BMW to replace it.

I still have the car now with 52000 miles on the clock.

The clutch has gone again after 46000 miles, I have had another power steering pump,The car cut out and would not restart (ECU fault, The traction control light comes on when driving and stops the revs from rising above 2000rpm, try getting the car up a hill then, the only solution is to stop and switch the engine off and restart it, very easy to do when you're in the middle of the road. This has already been fixed by BMW but it still happens. This car is not what I expected and I cannot wait to get rid of it.

I have had no joy with my local dealer and have involved a solicitor and a local t.v. program and will never buy a BMW again.

2002 BMW Mini cooper 16 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

The biggest con for the year 2002

The engine had an electrical fire under the bonnet a few days ago. Scared me stiff.

BMW MINI say its prob because I did not take my car in for the recall on the handbrake - (if I had of done, they could of seen a problem) HAH!!

They have had mini for one week and still cannot find out why the engine caught fire!!, I will be left with a new one year old car, that will loose value because mini had a fault. IT STINKS.

General Comments:

If they do not off me my money back, with the sale of goods act, ie unfit for its use, everyone will know about it! I do not trust driving mini anymore to get white smoke pouring out of your bonnet on the M1 - it is very scary.

Review Date: 5th February, 2003